Mistakes

The Frost house was awfully quiet for a beautiful Friday morning, Elsa sighed as she sat on the edge of her matrimonial bed pondering if she had made a mistake somewhere. Jack wasn't himself and she feels like it was her fault, he got news about a demotion and had been acting out and drinking and yelling in the house. She sighed once more, carrying herself off the bed and slowly walking towards the bathroom. She brushed and pondered some more, why did she go confront him at work? It wasn't the right thing to do...or was it? No, she thought shaking her head and frowning to herself. That was actually how he got news of a demotion in the first place.
Elsa finished taking a shower, she stepped out of the bathroom, her towel loose on her chest with one hand holding it up, she gasped and almost dropped it when she saw Jack seated up on the bed and looking at her, his eyes were dark from her angle and squinted, it was obvious he wasn't too sober. She was quiet and so was he, she avoided eye contact and moved towards her dressing table.

"So you're...not j..just gonna say anything?" Jack spoke softly, she closed her eyes and sighed, the put on a poker face so he wouldn't intimidate her.

"I'll only speak to my husband but right now you're not him"

Jack frowned and tried to stand up and fell off the bed, Elsa looked back in concern, guess he was still under the influence. She rushed to him and helped him in the bed, almost crying. Jack looked at her, his head banging from the mild fall, his foggy brain couldn't understand why she was so upset at the moment but his body moved to do one thing. Elsa felt a warm hand on the side of her face, she looked at Jack and involuntarily burst into tears.

"I'm so sorry Jack, I was just angry but now I feel responsible for the person you've become" she said in between sobs, Jack frowned sadly trying to keep up with cleaning her tears flowing freely and fast.

"I'm hurting Els, but...but you c.. crying is making it worse" he stuttered, she forced herself to stop, still sniffing.

The room was quiet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elsa sipped her coffee as she squinted due to the harsh sun and watched people pass her table on the street. She looked up and saw a familiar face stuck on his phone. She tapped the hand of her coffee cup as she usually did when she was nervous and loudly put her cup down on the table to get his attention.  He looked up at her, then glanced at the coffee cup and furrowed his brows with curiosity.

"Is... something wrong with the coffee?" He asked
"No" she bluntly answered, he sighed and reached out for her hand, she took it back a little.

"I know you called me here for a reason, is something wrong? Who hurt you?....was it...Jack?" He asked frowning at that last phrase, he never really liked Jack though his opinion didn't matter. She made it very clear when he confronted her after hearing about the wedding three and half years ago. They never kept in contact until that afternoon, she was a little desperate and didn't know who else to turn to. Her sister and her husband had been trying for a baby since they for married and since being unsuccessful for years, she had dived  into a state of depression and didn't speak with anyone well for the time being. Her uncle was the closest thing she had to a parent but he was currently serving at some country because he was in the military.

"I... didn't know who else to call that's all" she said facing away from him, her one hand still tapping the hand of the coffee cup. Maybe this was a bad idea but he was a lawyer and if things with Jack were gonna continue this way like it did for almost a month then she had to start doing something about it, she didn't like it but had to look out for herself.

"I'm glad you came to me... I've uh... I've been meaning to talk about us..."

"Us?....there is no us Stanley... You made that very clear when you choose your career over me"