The Decision

Rapunzel sat on the couch scrolling through her phone, jack had gone to work and Emma had gone to school. She felt like a housewife who isn't actually a wife or kinda was. Rapunzel thought about the past few days she had spent with Jack and Emma, she wanted to be a bit useful by cleaning and cooking for the family, she smiled as she remembered one incident.

*************

Rapunzel smiled as she stirred what was in the pot, it made a satisfying sizzling sound and gave out a mouth watering aroma. Footsteps were heard on the stairs.

"What's that smell hmm" emma said while rubbing her eyes.

"Oh you're awake? Great, I hope your hungry because dinner is almost ready" rapunzel said feeling a bit weird saying that, emma frowned and went to stand near her.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Emma said crossing her hands, rapunzel smiled at her.

"Making dinner, now go emma I'm almost done"

"You can't make dinner, you're not my mom!"

Rapunzel felt stabbed by her words, she wasn't her mom neither was she trying to take her mom's place but she had to be useful and jack was working harder to get that promotion so...

"Emma, go sit and don't distract me" she said and Emma pouted and marched upstairs. In a few minutes, she was done and called Emma down but she didn't come down, Rapunzel sighed and put a plate full of the dish that she cooked and took it upstairs to her room.

"What are you doing?" Emma said frowning, Rapunzel sat placed the food on her dressing table and knelt next to her.

"You know, if you tried being a lot nicer to me, we could get along. I'm not trying to replace anybody in your life or take your daddy away from you...I'm just trying to get my shi.. Uh... Stuff together and I can leave, we already explained this to you" Rapunzel said and Emma looked away, then at the food.

"What is that?"
"Spaghetti and meatballs along with my special bacon stew" rapunzel, said with pride, it wasn't her best dish but she was told that Emma loved anything fancy and she could see it from the look on her face, Emma ran towards the food and sat down then started to eat it, she glanced back at Rapunzel and smiled a childish smile.

"It's delicious" she said with a stuffed mouth.

"Thank goodness, I spent three hours on this dish" she said and Emma giggled, Rapunzel smiled, maybe she and Emma would get along.

**************

"Ah!!" Emma screamed and jumped on the couch, Rapunzel that was reading a magazine and jack that was on his laptop looked at her surprised.

"What is it?" jack asked while rubbing his eyes.

"I think I saw a rat" emma said, her eyes focused on the floor, jack frowned a bit and faced his laptop again.

"Sweetie we can't have rats, we fumigated the house remember"

Emma scoffed "Yeah dad like a gazillion years ago"

"Go check for some mouse trap upstairs in the store"

She ran past the floor like it was filled with lava that was advancing towards her. Rapunzel chuckled.

"What?" jack asked cocking an eyebrow.

"Nothing, I take it she's afraid of rats"
"Well yeah, they're like something out of a horror movie for her"
"What about you?"
"Me? I'm not afraid of those vermins just disgusted by em"
"Really?"
"Yeah, don't tell me that you like them?"

Rapunzel squeezed her face "No way but I am afraid of spiders and worms and caterpillars and pretty much anything that crawls or has a slimy or and hairy body"

"Wow...you know I used to have a pet spider" jack started, smirking when he saw rapunzel's reaction "But, he got lost..."

"Jack stop messing with me" Rapunzel said while mounting the couch slowly.
Jack wanted to laugh so bad but he kept a half straight face.

"I'm serious, and I don't think he left this house I mean it was just days ago that I lost him"

"Jack"

He couldn't hold it anymore, he held his stomach and burst into laughter, Rapunzel pouted and crossed her hands.

"Dad I can't find it!" Emma called, jack stopped laughing then caught his breath and went upstairs though not without glancing at Rapunzel and her reaction. Reaching there he saw that the place was scattered with stuff, jack sighed and went next to emma.

"Alright let's see here" he said almost in a whisper and both started searching for the mouse trap. Jack was getting tired but he decided to check one last box on top the shelf, he brought it down to look through.

"I found it" he said, sounding relieved then his eyes glanced into the box and his heart dropped. Jack shifted closer to it and picked up the framed picture of his wife, Emma saw it too and knelt near him.

"Daddy?" Emma said and put her hand on his shoulder, he took it and kissed it.

"I miss mommy"
"Me too, she was everything to me and we were everything to her..... I remember when you were just a year old....she...she took us to the beach and you....wandered too far into the water do you know what your mother did?"

Emma shook her head.

"She jumped in after you, she was so brave, before I could even think of what to do she just....did it, nothing else mattered not even her"

Jack started to cry "No one can replace her" he whispered then Emma hugged him and started crying also, suddenly running footsteps were heard. Jack and Emma looked towards the door and saw a certain blonde running. Jack became alarmed a bit.

"Rapunzel? Rapunzel is that you?!" he asked and followed her. Rapunzel saw everything and felt so out of place, she couldn't help but cry too and felt like she shouldn't be here. Rapunzel ran to the room to get her things (that she bought overtime), while trying to pack, she could hear jack coming, she cried and her hands wouldn't stop shaking from sadness, anger, jealousy and uncertainty. The door swung open, jack ran to her side.

"What are you doing?"

"I.. I'm leaving, like I should have days ago. I'm sorry jack, I'm sorry that I stayed here longer than I should... I don't know why I started becoming attached to you...emma... It's not my place okay.... So I'm leaving" she said and continued packing, jack ran a hand through his hair then held her hand and pulled her sharply to face him. She immediately put her face away.

"Rapunzel look at me... Look at me"

She did.

"I don't why you think you should leave but... Don't"
"What?"
"Don't leave now... Don't ever leave, I'm glad that you're in my life, you've given this house the meaning it should have okay, I'm not saying that you should or you are replacing anyone but.... The way you treat Emma and I like we're family it... It's really sweet"

Rapunzel smiled a little bit. Jack smiled too and let go of her hand.

"So you will stay with us and that's my decision" jack said, Rapunzel hugged him, he was shocked but still hugged back.

"I'll stay" she whispered.