Prologue 1: Awakening

A dark, moonless night spread across the sky. The brilliance of the stars were hidden behind the curtains of the cloud.

The barren land with no sign of crops. Each step one would take, the dirt would rise from the ground. The street light, only source of light, showed no promise as to keep its light up for long. Not that it mattered since, no one would be coming here at this hour.

But that didn't stop the man, who was running across the barren land. He was panting, sweating all over and was barely able to stop the bleeding coming from his shoulder. But even if he stopped his bleeding, his right hand was in no condition to move.

But he didn't stop, for his life really depended on it. He mind was in turmoil, exhaustion from his previous battle has already buried it's nails on him, dragging him down. And as he finally reached under the street lamp, he gave up.

Helping himself to sit by the lamp, he started to breathe heavily. Sweat beads covering his eyelids were hindering his vision but he was able to make out the three men walking towards him, their hands holding onto their own scythes. Under the darkness covering their appearance, they looked like the personification of death itself.

He breath out a sigh and slowly raised his arm towards the back of his head, drawing a machete from his back. Taking in one more breath, he sharpened his gaze towards the approaching men.

"Why do you still struggle? You know you can't escape", the man in the said. He was speaking in English, but his accent proved that English wasn't his first language. The three haulted their steps, not stepping into the light of the lamp post.

"It would have been you in my place, if it wasn't for your cowardly ambush", the wounded man spoke venomously.

"Then maybe the next time your people try to interfere with our matters, they'd be more careful", the man in the middle chuckled. The two on his either side joined in.

"If your ritual is something like the fuilcrè rain ritual, we can't turn a blind eye now, can we?"

"And that would be the death of you", the man said, as his voice began to change. The three men rotated their heads in a weird ways. By the time the stepped into the light, their face had no resemblance to human. The men all looked like trolls, with their leathery skin, a large nose, and sharp, needle-like fangs.

(Hässlich)

(Hässlich)

"Oh, just to remind you, there isn't any fuilcrè around here. The one you met was our guy", the man spoke.