Chapter 28~The Final Trial

Makoto's POV:

As I step onto my podium, I take a breath. Here we go again...another trial, except there's way more on the line. We could lose and our consciousness will be forever trapped here, or we can beat the Mastermind and get out of this place...back to our friends we've lost. I look around at the others, who looked both determined and nervous. Even Byakuya, who's usually confident and prepared for a trial, had a hint of nervousness in him...though I know that he would never admit that he was, so I can't really say anything.

I look at Chihiro, who looks lost in thought. Chihiro...whatever your plan is to help us with this...I hope it works. After Monokuma appears, he laughs some, "Aaaaaalright! It's finally time for this last class trial to get started!" He looks around at everyone, "Since this is the final class trial, I have a new special rule!" He says, confusing me some. Special rule...? "What are you talking about...?" I ask, making him laugh again. "Weeeell, if you guys beat me in this trial, I'll let you guys go free~!" He smirks some, "Though if you all lose against me, you'll stay here forever!" He says, surprising me some. Is...he serious...? About setting us free?

"Are you serious!" I look over at Hiro, who looks kinda happy, "You'll really let us go, no strings attached?!" He asks, making Monokuma giggle. "Of course! I always follow my rules~!" He says, making me sigh some. I remember him mentioning this when Chihiro, Kyoko, and I confronted him about doing this trial...I honestly don't know if I believe him, but he has followed his own rules so far, so...it's possible that he's telling us the truth, though...

"Will there still be an execution...? For the loser or losers...?" I ask, Monokuma looking over at me. "Oh yea! Of course there will be one, how could I forget!" He says with a laugh, "Thanks for the reminder!" Hiro groans some, "Thanks a lot Makoto, he could've forgotten about it and we would've stayed alive in here if we lost!" He says, sounding upset. I laugh awkwardly, "Ah...I'm sorry..." I say with a bit of a sigh. Me and my big mouth...I should've not brought it up if he actually did forget about it.

Chihiro sighs some, "Guys...It's not his fault, Monokuma would've done it weather Makoto brought it up or not..." he says, making Monokuma laugh. "You've seen right through me Chihiro, of course I'd never forget that!" He says, making me sigh some and shake my head. Right...this is Monokuma were talking about...of course he wouldn't forget.

Monokuma groans some, "Alright! Enough of this useless debate about who wins or loses, let's get on with the trial!" He says, sounding impatient. Byakuya sighs some, "Okay then...how about I start this off..." he looks over at Chihiro, "We need to consider the possibility that Chihiro could be the Mastermind." He says, surprising me some. W-What...?

Chihiro's POV:

My eyes widen some. "M-Me...?" I say, making the others look over at me. W-Why would he say that I am?! I told him that I'd help him and everyone else in the trial...did he actually not believe me...? Aoi glares at him, "Are you stupid?! Of course he's not!" She says, making Byakuya laugh some. "Think about it, he knows about everything involving this trial...he somehow found a way to get into the killing game, despite him being killed before...isn't that suspicious?" He says, making me look down some. But...Byakuya knows that...I think to myself some. Wait...I look over at him. I get what he's doing.

"That...is kinda suspicious..." Hiro says, making Aoi punch his arm. "Don't be an idiot!" She looks over at me, "I know that Chihiro would never betray us, he's our friend!" She says with a smile, making Byakuya shake his head. "Anyone could be the Mastermind...even a friend...considering that we've had friends kill other friends already." He smirks some, "Just look at Chihiro and Mondo for example...they were friends, yet Mondo killed him." Byakuya says, making me look down and grip my podium tighter. Just bear with him...he's doing this for a reason.

I notice that Kyoko is looking towards Monokuma, who looks distracted, "What do you think Monokuma...?" She asks him, making him snap out of his thoughts and look over at her. "Huh...? What are we talking about...?" He says, making Makoto a bit irritated. "Don't play dumb, you know something..." he says making Monokuma laugh some. "Don't worry, Its nothing important!" He looks back over at me, "I will say that...Chihiro is not the Mastermind, so don't worry about him." he says, sounding more serious. I shudder some. I don't like that look he's giving me, but I know that something Byakuya said struck a nerve with him...and I have a feeling I know what it is.

~Time Skip~

After a while of back and forth debate, we finally got Monokuma backed into a wall. We used our evidence...I let the others take the lead, helping them when they needed it...we're almost there. I look at Monokuma. It's time to reveal the perpetrator...the Mastermind.

"The body in the garden was definitely Mukuros...everything, her appearance and measurements, match her records." Makoto says, Kyoko nodding in agreement. "He's correct. Another confirmation was the fact that, according to what both Makoto and Byakuya said earlier, Chihiro met Mukuro. She helped him come back into the killing game, so there would be no way that she could still be alive here." She says, irritating Monokuma some.

During the trial, I brought up some of the things involving me coming back and how I came back...we even talked about the killing game being a simulation and the fact that the others were still alive, which made Monokuma more and more frustrated. I could tell that he realized how much I knew...he knew that the more I talked, the more he couldn't hide the truth.

"Junko is the one who is actually alive! Mukuro was dressed as her, or at least in this simulation, was portrayed as her." Makoto says, looking over at Monokuma, "Junko is still alive here in this killing game!" Aoi thinks to herself for a moment, "If that is the case, where exactly is Junko...?" She asks, making me sigh some. "I can answer that..." I say, making everyone look at me, "She's an AI...she is the program that's the heart of the killing game. She runs everything here...she can manipulate this game however she wants."

After a while of silence, Monokuma laughs, "Well well well, looks like I've been found out~" He says as he lights up. "W-What's going on, what's he doing??" Hiro says, sounding confused. I watch as Monokuma's form disappears and turns into pink pixels, swirling around and turning into the form of the Ultimate Despair herself...Junko Enoshima.

When she reveals herself, The trial room starts to get pixelated and glitch out, making me look over at her. Even though she revealed herself, this trial isn't over yet...I still need to play my part.