The Kiss

After a long, awkward walk home with Simon, Clessa finally reached her house. Simon had sort of a frown on his face. Clessa stopped in front of him.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing."
Clessa raised he eyebrow.
"I've been your friend for ten years. I know when something is wrong."
Simon gave Clessa a look that said please-don't-make-me-tell-you.
"We are friends! You can tell me anything!"
After ten seconds of awkward silence, Clessa gave Simon pleading look.
"Alright Clessa...here goes. Do you remember the first day we met? In Kindergarten. The first day of school. Back at ye olde elementary," after the last remark, Simon sat down on the steps up to Clessa's apartment,"we met at the door. I was wearing glasses that were way too big, and you had pink bows in your hair."
"Really? Pink?"
"Yes now let me continue. Anyways. I saw you skipping down the hallway, singing twinkle twinkle little star. I saw your pink backpack bouncing up and down, and then you turned around."
Simon took a deep breath and looked out into the distance.
"I saw your beautiful brown eyes. And my whole world stopped."
"What are you trying to say?"
Simon looked deep into Clessa's eyes.
"Let me continue the story. Any who, then, I immediately knew that you were going to be my friend. But, years past, and things changed."
Clessa took a moment to process what Simon had told her. She carefully choose her words and brushed the hair out of her eyes.
"What do you mean?"
"I know no ways to mince in love, but to only say I love you."
Simon carefully quoted Shakespeare, and looked deep into Clessa. The Clessa he had fallen in love with ten years ago, and felt love growing inside of him every single day. If there was a word that meant more than love, he would use it.
"Simon. I don't know what to say."
Simon gazed back into her eyes, and said everything for her. He pulled her in, and kissed her.
Clessa felt the kiss, it was magical. His lips were light, like a dream brushing across her face. All of a sudden she felt like she weighed a feather, and Simon could carry her away like the wind. It was Clessa's first meaningful kiss. And it meant a whole lot.
Simon felt like kissing Clessa was a dream come true. Like a sealant of love, but with no words. It was like a fairytale, he was absolutely certain.
Because she kissed back.
Clessa, the girl who he had loved for a decade, kissed back.
As the kiss drew on for a minute straight, they both started to draw back. Slowly, their lips were no longer touching.
Clessa looked into Simon's eyes, and her lips parted. She quickly grabbed her bag and darted to the door of her apartment.
"Clessa! Wait!"
Clessa kept running and did not look back.
"Clessa!"
Simon raced back after Clessa, but quickly she passed the doors.
"Clessa, can we talk about this?"
As Clessa raced through the building, she shut the elevator before Simon could say anything else to her.
"Clessa!"
Clessa jammed the buttons on the elevator. She grabbed her nose as a way to force the tears from coming.
It was no use. Clessa cried for Simon, she cried for herself, and she cried for wasting her first kiss.
"People say they are supposed to be magical," said Clessa.
It was, but she used it on a boy who she had known for her whole life.
Soon, the elevator stopped on a floor. In came Simon.
"Look. I just ran up ten flights of stairs just to talk to you, so you better listen."
Clessa tried to get out of the elevator, but Simon was too quick.
Too quick for a nerd.
He jammed all of the buttons on the elevator, and while they were between floors, he stopped it.
"What's wrong?"
Clessa looked down at her shoes, refusing to talk.
"Please Clessa. Talk to me."
Clessa slid down to the floor, and put her head in her knees.
Simon sat next to her.
"You kissed back."
"I know."
"It was a long kiss."
Clessa sighed.
"I know."
Simon rubbed his face in frustration.
"How do you feel about it?"
"I don't know. You kissed me, so I decided to kiss back. That's that."
Simon sighed and rose his voice.
"THEN WHY WOULD YOU KISS FOR SO LONG?"
Clessa took her head out of her knees. She showed her tear streaked face to Simon.
"DO YOU THINK I KNOW? DO YOU THINK I DID NOT FEEL SOMETHING? IT TAKES TWO PEOPLE TO KISS SIMON CLARK! SO ITS NOT JUST ABOUY YOU! AND YOUR FEELINGS! YOU DONT CARE THAT I KISSED YOU! YOU ONLY CARE HOW IT AFFECTED YOU!"
Simon looked like he was just slapped because he was smart.
"IT WOULD CERTAINLY HELP IF YOU WOULD ACTUALLY TALK TO ME!"
Clessa stood up and stomped her foot.
"MAYBE I DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK OF THE KISS! MAYBE I JUST KISSED YOU BACK TO GET IT OVER WITH!"
Simon looked so hurt, that he was about to die.
"If that's how you feel, then that's how it will be."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean that if the kiss meant nothing to you, then this friendship should mean nothing too."
Clessa looked surprised.
"The kiss meant a lot!"
"Then why did you just say that you just did it to get it over with."
"No I didn't."
Simon stood up. She was suffering from more memory loss.
"Yes you did. I just heard you. Are you suffering from more memory loss?"
"I think so. My mind is foggy."
"Can I ask you a question then?"
Clessa nodded and scooted closer to Simon.
"What did the kiss feel like? To you?"
"The kiss," Clessa sat down against the side of the elevator,"felt like a fairytale. You were the prince, and I was the princess, and the kiss was like a wish come true from a fairy godmother."
Simon sat in silence. Then he gathered the strength to talk again.
"Did the kiss mean anything? And tell me the truth."
Clessa wanted to tell the truth, but she knew that it would hurt him in ways that cannot even be explained.
"I can't."
"Why not?"
"I just can't."
"Tell me now."
"Fine! It felt like a waste of a first kiss."
"What?"
"It felt like I should have used my first kiss on someone who I was actually attracted to."
Simon looked hurt. More hurt than he had ever been before. Like a thousand people just stabbed him in the heart, and then laughed.
"If that's how you feel."
Simon stood up and let the elevator run again.
"Wait, that came out wrong."
As the elevator stopped at the next floor, Simon said three words that Clessa hated to hear.
"Goodbye, Clessa Fairway."
The doors shut. And as they did, the doors to Clessa's heart did.
She then remembered what she had said to Simon earlier. It was the most cruel thing she had ever said to anyone. And Clessa knew that for a fact.