12. The Truth

Fuck Twitter.
Just don't ask, I don't want to discuss what's happening.
Just sit on Wattpad and read.
Even Wattpad haters are less toxic than Twitter haters.

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Dream hesitates as he clicks the notification, opening the chat.

U/N 2:45
Wtf is happening on Twitter

Dream's breath hitches as he desperately tries to come up with a response his fingers fly across the keys, then rapidly delete the entire message.

Dream 2:48
It would be easier for me to call you 

He waits anxiously as the call goes through, and he picks up on the first ring.

"Hello?"

"Hi," he says awkwardly.

"So I keep getting tagged, a lot, what is happening? They keep mentioning you."

Dream bites his lip and drums his fingers on the desk creating a loud pattering noise.

"So apparently people think we're dating since I was on your stream. They're bringing up a whole bunch of old drama involving my ex who I broke up with over a year ago. They're also being, I don't know, Twitter? The meanest people who critique everything and anything I guess. They're saying some really mean stuff about you and I know you're not ready to face that kind of hate yet. I don't want them to hate you to the point of you getting doxxed since you just started streaming. I sent a message out to clarify and had one of my friends start streaming to distract them and diffuse the tension a bit."

Dream falls silent at her silence as well.

"Dream," Y/N whispers quietly.

"Yes?" he asks as his mind starts to try and decipher what she's going to say next. "Did someone say something? Did your personal info get leaked? Did they threaten you? Did they form a hate hashtag?"

"Dream," she says firmly again. He immediately stops rambling, realizing that he's spiraling.

I just don't want her to get hurt.
She's such a nice person with great streaming potential.
I don't want just one little misconception to ruin her chance at a successful career.

"No one said or did anything to me. I haven't checked Twitter much and my friend advised me to stay off it for the next few days." She takes a deep breath.

"What I want to know is why? Why did you do all of this to diffuse the situation? Why do you care so much, I'm nothing compared to you."

Dream freezes at her words, his heart feels heavy.

She thinks I don't care about her.

"Because I actually care about you," he says quietly. "I know how it feels to be slammed with hate from all directions with no one to back you up. I've been in that situation multiple times even when I had millions of subscribers. You feel like the whole world is against you when in reality it's only a few thousand people. Still, it makes you want to give up."

"Y/N, you have great potential and I can tell you have a bright career ahead as a content creator. I don't want to see one misconception ruin your only chance."

They both fall silent, listening to the background noise of their rooms and the quiet sounds of each other's breaths.

"You really think I can make it to the top?" Y/N asks.

Dream smiles.

"I really do."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~