50. Couple in the City

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Dream wraps his arm protectively around Y/N as they make their way through Central Park. He eyes a man sitting on a bench who stares at them as they walk by.

"Dream," Y/N says softly, brushing her fingers lightly across his arm. "You don't have to do this. I live here. This is basically my backyard."

"That's all well and good but it's still dangerous," Dream grabs her hand and pulls her closer as she starts to wander off toward the benches. "And no one is gonna jump me, more likely to jump you though."

"Ughhh," Y/N twists her hand out of his grasp and bolts down the path.

"Y/N!" he sprints after her, winding through the people walking their dogs and pushing their strollers.

A woman walking her dark brown greyhound briefly crosses his path as he awkwardly sidesteps around a group of tourists before bolting straight at her.

A look of pure fear and terror crosses her face as the only thing she sees is a 6ft tall man in a beanie and bandana mask running straight at her.

She lets out an unnecessarily loud scream and lets go of the dog's leash.

Dream skids to a halt just feet from her and his eyes widen at her terrified expression.

"Wait! Stop it's not—"

The huge, bear-like dog bounds towards him and lets out a loud bark which makes everyone in the park turn to look at the source of the sound.

Dream gasps as he stumbles backward and turns to run in the opposite direction. The wind whips his stray curls around and his heart pounds as he sprints down the path.

The dog's footsteps patter behind him and he doesn't stop to look back, instead continuing his jog down the hill which sharply turns around a grove of trees.

A tiny, hard object hits him on the shoulder and he turns around in confusion.

Ow, what the fuck?

Spinning around, Dream is faced with Y/N who holds the greyhound's leash in one hand, a dog treat in the other.

The greyhound is settled on the ground in a relaxed position.

Dream carefully approaches, taking extreme care not to agitate the dog.

Once he's about a meter away, the greyhound snaps up and lets out a bark.

Y/N's grip on the leash tightens as she pulls the dog back as it tries to lunge at Dream.

"Sit," she orders in a calm but firm tone.

The greyhound just stares at her with a confused expression.

Y/N sighs and holds out the treat above the dog.

"Sit."

The dog obediently settles on its hind legs while its tail wags behind and its mouth opens to reveal a row of sharp canines covered in drool.

"Good," Y/N tosses the treat to the ground and watches as the greyhound practically devours the hard biscuit in a few bites.

"Woah," Dream whispers. He creeps closer on poised tiptoes until he's standing next to Y/N with an arm around her shoulder. "How did you do that?"

Y/N waves a dismissive hand and notices the dog's owner running toward them.

"This isn't my first rodeo."