CHAPTER 20

"Who's there?" I hear Aiden's voice ask as I knock on the door.

"Laura," I say.

"Huh?" he shouts.

"Laura," I say louder.

"What?"

"Open the fucking door," I shout impatiently.

"Ok...," he says and opens the door.

"Thought it was the cops," he says amusedly.

"Just came to see...," I start but halt as I look at him. His hair is dripping wet and he has a towel wrapped around his waist and another slung across his shoulders.

"Me?" he provides.

"No, Aiden, obviously not," I say as I make my way past him.

"Where is he?" I ask as I scan the living room.

"What you don't see him?" he asks with mock shock. I sigh and make my way inside the house. I open the bedroom door I assume is his, and see Nick standing, staring at the wall.

"Lok who's up on his feet," I say impressed but he keeps staring at the wall.

"Wow they must have knocked your head pretty bad right?" I ask and that seems to get his attention.

"Laura," he says and limps toward me.

"Hey just lie down and relax," I say grabbing his arm and leading him to his bed.

"You're treating me like a baby," he says amused trying to get up again.

"Well you're acting like one, so just shut up and lay down," I say as I shove him back on the bed making him wince.

"Tough love," he says smiling.

"You bet," I reply as I grab a pillow from the side of his bed and put it under his head, leading to another wince from him.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"No its not your fault,"

"No... im sorry," I say again looking him in the eye so he understands what I mean.

"Like I said, it's not your fault," he repeats, holding my hand and squeezing in comfort.

"There are bruises all over your body. Do you want me to stay over?" I ask.

"No, go to school," he says tired.

"I'll talk to Dave," I say and watch the look of horror on his face.

"Laura, did they knock you on the head too?" he asks.

"No," I say smiling.

"He almost beat you to death," I say on a more serious note.

"But he didn't...Just let it go," he says resigned.

"That wasn't the Dave I know... the one that did this to you. Except I misjudged him from the beginning, he isn't a bad person, but I'll set him straight and the next time he touches you or even looks at you the wrong way, I'll report him to the cops," I say in one single breath and pick up my bag. I don't turn back as I head out the door.

***

I arrive at school with Ally hurrying toward me.

"Ally you're here on time, that's weird," I say amusedly as she catches up to me and playfully punches me on the arm.

"So what are you gonna do about the Dave situation?" she asks.

"I'll talk to him," I tell her.

"Nate didn't have any idea that was gonna happen... which Is weird because Dave tells him everything," she adds.

"No surprise there,"

"So how is Nick?" She asks.

"Getting better," I reply.

"Whats wrong?" I ask her sensing a change in her mood.

"Its Jason. ever since I started dating Nate, he's been blowing up my phone with texts and calls...," she trails off dejected.

"Thats Jason for you, he always wants what he can't have, dont worry about him,"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah I'll talk to him... it'll pass," I reply as we walk into the class. Turns out that would be the worst advice I would ever give.

***

The bell rings for lunch and everyone rushes out, not sparing the teacher another glance. I calm my nerves as I mentally prepare myself for what I'm about to do. I make my way to the cafeteria, each step faster than the last. Everyone is seated notmally. I see Dave seated with his friends, some of who I recognise were part of the beating.

"Well if it isn-,"

"Who the hell do you think you are?" I interrupt to the amazement of everyone who seem to be staring.

"Look Laura,"

"I don't wanna hear it," I interrupt again.

"I just came here to tell you that if you ever come near me or Nick again I'll call the cops and you'll end up in jail so fast, you'd be dizzy," I finish with more courage than I felt.

"Can I talk to you in private?" he asks gesturing at the crowd with his eyes.

"You're insane if you think I'll go anywhere with you again,"

"I can explain," he says standing up as I turn to leave.

"Maybe you should ask Jake what he did," he says louder as I walk out of the cafeteria and shut the door.

SPOILER ALERT: Chapter 25 is going to be epic! The book is coming to an end soon, and I'll start another called the girl next door. There's going to be a bit of mystery there, so stay tuned. I also want to say a big thank you guys for supporting me and my books. You're awesome.

DON'T FORGET

VOTE

FAN

COMMENT