CHAPTER 3

'He slept with Marissa' I hear Dave say. I hear whispers among the crowd but I shut them out. I turn to Jake and do the unexpected; I laugh. I can't even stop myself anymore and tears escape my eyes. I turn to Jake still giggling.

'You guys are joking right' I say with amusement in my tone.

'I'm so...so sorry Laura' he says as he holds my hand. The smile slowly leaves my face as reality sets in. I turn to see the shocked expression on everyone's face, all of them waiting for my reaction.

'Jake can I have a word?' I say and walk out. I hear him follow me into the janitors closet. I shut the door.

'Why?' I simply ask.

'I swear to God Laura I didn't mean to' he says while trying to hold me. I shrug him off.

'I asked you a question. Must you and Dave always hurt each other? did this past year not mean anything to you? I know you slept with her not because you liked her but because Dave did. Couldn't you just put aside your differences for me?' I say while trying to hold back my tears.

'It will never happen again. I promise' he says and kneels down.

'Of course it won't happen again because we're through' I say and try to walk away but he gets up and grabs my arm.

'You can't be serious Laura. We have been together for more than a year' he cajoles desperately.

'And you threw it away.If you want to ruin your life and Dave's, do it for all I fucking care. You know what, kill each other. You're now free to do whatever you want' I shrug his hands off.

'We're through' I say again and walk away.

'This isn't over' I hear him say as I slam the door behind me.

Well if this isn't a bad breakup, I honestly wonder what is...

  The day passes by uneventfully, well aside from the sympathetic stares I got in most of the classes and soon, the bell rings for lunch.

I walk down the hallway to carry books I'll need during my next class as I do not feel hungry. I walk to my locker trying to open it when I hear footsteps behind me. I turn around and come face to face with Dave.

'What do you want?' I say dismissively.

'I want you' he says.

EXCUSE ME WHAT?

'Is this some kind of joke?'

'No. I'm gonna make you an offer.' he says. I try to walk past him but he grabs my left shoulder and slams me against the locker, holding me there.

'How about you and I go out?' he sees my incredulous expression and rephrases.

'Just call it a partnership where we both win. We both get to see Jake suffer' he says while brushing a strand of hair from my face.

'Are you mad? Don't get me involved in your childish games. If you and Jake got problems you should solve them and the next time you come up with something as crazy as this, tell it to someone who cares or better yet, someone as stupid as you' I say and try to walk past.

He slams me against the wall again and I gasp as a sharp pain shoots through my back.

'Feisty are we? now get this straight. Jake screwed with me by having sex with Marissa. He won that round and I won't have him winning rounds. The only way I can get back at him would be by dating you so I'm gonna ask you nicely; put aside your petty issues, stop being an obnoxious lazy little brat and please be my girlfriend.' he says.

'You call that asking nicely?' I say stunned.

'I said please. Don't worry take your time think about it you have a day. Oh and just so we're clear, I won't take no for an answer. kapeesh?' he releases me and walks away. what have I gotten myself into?