CHAPTER 22

"I can't think of one single reason why I'm doing this," I say under my breath as I sit on a bench in the park where Dave and I usually hung out when we were dating.

"You're stupid... stupid, stupid, stupid," I scold myself slapping myself on the head.

"He's probably not gonna show up anyways," I say finally.

"Who's not gonna show up?" he asks from behind me and I flinch in surprise. I turn around and see him looking at me straight faced, wearing a leather jacket over a grey shirt and jeans. He looks even more good - looking than usual, his eyes greener, his hair darker. I stand up as he walks towards me. He gets extremely close and I smell his cologne. I look at him with a straight face but I feel light headed. He's always had this effect on me.

"So why did you ask me to come?" I ask nervously.

"A number of reasons actually. The first being I want us to get back together, I miss you," he says taking my hands in his. I just stare back at him.

"What?" he asks.

"So you called me all the way up here just to say nonsense... you know what? I'm leaving," I say taking my hand from his and carrying my bag from the chair. I try to move past him but he blocks my way.

"Just listen... please," he says stepping back abit.

"Youre saying please... what the hell happened? What did you do again Dave?" I ask.

"I didn't do anything. Must I do something?" he says exasperated.

"This is me being nice... being better," he says as I still look at him suspiciously.

"Okay...fine but what is it?" I say trying not to smile.

"Its Jake. Turns out he's worse than I thought,"

"Yeah I figured that out like weeks ago, so...," I reply obviously.

"Oh you haven't figured out the half of it," he says excitedly.

"Okay you're just scaring me now, cut to the chase,"

"Do you remember when he slept with the Sheriff's daughter? What's her face? Marissa?" He asks.

"Everyday," Is my curt reply.

"Well alot happened after that, so you're gonna have to ask her yourself, she's over there," he says gesturing to a girl on another park bench. I turn to look at her. Her hair is held in a very tight bun and she's dressed in jeans, a white shirt and a green jacket. She seems lost in thought. I turn to Dave "I dont have any business with that girl, okay I'm not interested," I say firmly.

"Oh but you are, just go and find out,"

I try to move past him but he blocks my way again.

"Just listen... she met me okay? she sought me out, and it was difficult. Just try not to be so hard on her," He cajoles.

"Just listen to her Laura," he says again.

"Fine," I say reluctantly and turn around. He grabs my arm again and turns me to face him.

"What?" I ask.

"I'm sorry," he apologizes.

"Tell that to Nick," I reply.

"No I'm not sorry for attacking him, I'm not apologizing for that. I'm sorry for hurting you in the process," he says frankly. I shake my head disapprovingly, walk past him and bump his shoulder in the process.

"Marissa," I call as I move towards her but she doesn't hear.

"Hey," I yell touching her shoulder.