CHAPTER 26

LAURA POV

"Ally would see you now," The nurse says to Ally's mom. She starts to get up when I sneak up behind her.

"Can I come with?" I ask with wide eyes.

"Um...well, I...," Mrs Dawson stutters and I don't interrupt.

"Well I was gonna grab a bite to eat first," she says finally.

"What are you getting?" I ask.

"Pizza,"

"Oh great I love pizza. Let's get it together, then we can both go see Ally okay?" I suggest cheerfully as I walk towards the cafeteria.

The truth is, ever since Ally was rescued from that house two weeks ago, I've not been able to see her in the hospital.  There was always one excuse or another; she was either tired, or asleep, or not in the mood for visitors,  yet somehow, she managed to see everyone but me, even Dave! Everyone knows she is avoiding me, they are just too nice to say it.

"Aren't you coming?" I ask Mrs Dawson with false innocence.

"Of course," she replies grimly as we both head towards the caeteria.

We sit down and order, both of us too nervous to eat. A few awkward conversations and a half hearted lunch later, we are walking slowly towards Ally's room.
Ally's mom hesitantly knocks on the door, probably half hoping Ally would be asleep.

"Come in," Ally calls out as I and her mom step into her room. She looks at me and I stare back at her, shocked.
When she was taken on a stretcher from Hayley's house a few weeks ago, I could barely recognise her. She was pale, bruised, badly beaten and unconscious. I haven't seen her since, but that image would forever be etched in my brain. Now she looks better, but still quite bad. She still looks pale though not as before, there are still a few bruises on her left eye, and the corner of her mouth, a few on her arms, and I'm pretty sure others are being covered by the hospital gown. Her head is bandaged, and her eyes lack their usual mischief.

"Laura came by the hospital and suggested we see you together," Mrs Dawson says as she pleads with her eyes.
Translation: Laura practically forced me to bring her here.

"Okay," Ally says simply.

"So how are you sweetie? and the pain?" She asks kissing Ally's forehead and sitting at the edge of her bed.

"It's still pretty bad. The nurse has refused to give me those crappy pills," Ally replies bitterly.

"It's just so you won't get addicted," she replies reasonably.

"Whatever," Ally says.

"Your dad will come over in the evening. He couldn't make it now because he had sone urgent work to be done," Mrs Dawson states, tapping Ally's foot.

"Okay," Ally replies.

Mrs Dawson hesitates.

"I'll leave you two alone, " she says as she stands up and leaves the room, shutting the door behind her.

"Hello Ally. How are you feeling?" I ask uncertainly moving to stand beside her.

"What do you want Laura?" She asks flatly.

I flinch involuntary, stunned.

"I just came to see you. It's been a while," I reply awkwardly.

"Fine," she simply says.

"Are you better?" I ask.

"I'm ok," she replies.

"Does the food suck?" I ask in a lame attempt at humor.