CHAPTER 9

I run towards Dave and fall in his arms. He leans rowards me and we almost kiss when all of a sudden, the covers are ripped off my body and my mom shouts,

"laura get off that bed right now"

"In a minute," I reply. I wonder why I have to go to school.

"Alright fine. I guess I'll go get the instruments then,"

WTF? WHAT INSTRUMENTS?

"I'm up." I shout, getting off the bed and seeing a triumphant look on her face. I gotta admit my mom can get really creative.

She laughs hysterically as she leaves my room.

You won this round mom.

I head into the shower and after bathing and drying my hair, I decide on light blue jeans and a brown top. I leave my hair hanging loose, slip on brown flats and leave my room.

I go to the living room and find Jason looking out the window.

"So Laura is Ally coming over today?"  he asks with an excited glint in his eyes.

"Nah she's using her car today. Any problem?" I ask.

"Nope just asking," he awkwardly replies.

"Okay. Wheres dad?" I ask, looking for a cereal.

"He just left...seemed upset," he replies.

After eating my cereal, I leave for school. The vibe feels different and I just feel happy.

"Hey," I hear beside me.

"Hey Nate. whats up?" I ask.

"I'm cool. so have you seen Ally today?" he awkwardly asks.

"No, and whats with everyone asking about her?" I ask.

"Everyone? who else asked about her?" he asks with genuine curiosity.

"Nevermind. So why are you looking for her?"

"No nothing. Just wanted to make sure shes alright... so I'll see you when I see you." he says and walks away.

He leaves and I make my way to my locker where I see Dave waiting for me.

"Hey babe," he says as he makes his way towards me.

"Hey," I reply.

"So how about we go out after school?" he asks as we walk towards our classes.

"After school? where?" I ask.

"Oh you'll find out. So I'll pick you up?"

"Great. After school it is," I say as I walk into my class.

Its math and I really hate it. Too bad I really need the credit. I get to my seat and just stare at the teacher as he draws some stupid diagram on the boardand under it writes  X + Y - Z= 95. Find Z. He turns to the class.

"Class who can answer this question?" he asks. Silence. Feign nonchalance. Just keep a straight face and he'll ignore you.

"Laura. Come over here please," he says.

Oh fuck no. I awkwardly make my way to the front of the class.

"Laura, find Z." he says.

I stare blankly at the board and turn to him.

"Over there sir," I say, pointing to where Z is located on the board as the whole class erupts in laughter. The teacher smiles a little as he says "On a normal day, I'll give you detention; but what for? Go take your seat."