Chapter Sixteen.

Chapter Sixteen.

Alena stood frozen where her feet were rooted to the ground by the fountain, the trickle of the water could just be heard over the roaring in her ears as her wide eyes were locked on the black wolf in front of her that was slowly stalking towards her, its chocolate eyes locked on her and only her. Alena could only remember standing there kissing Samuel and then the sickening sound of his bones snapping and rearranging themselves to form the animal in front of her, it had all happened so fast that she hadn't had time to react or run and now she was going to pay the price for her slow reactions. She could always use her magic but her brain seemed to be detached to her the rest body making it impossible.

Alena shut her eyes tightly as the animal began to snarl and growl. She knew it was close she could sense its presence. She opened one of her eyes only to see that it was now running at her with its mouth wide open its eyes locked on her exposed neck, both of her eyes flew open and she released a scream that was suddenly cut short as the animal clamped its jaws on her neck and with one shape tug pulled.

Alena was being shaken, her head lolling back and forth as she opened her eyes wide to see that her mum was shaking her, her face full of concern as Alena breathed out a sigh of relief. It had been a dream, and Samuel hadn't turned into a wolf or torn her head off.

"Alena what's wrong?" Her mum asked as she pulled her up into a sitting position. Alena looked at her mum to see that she had bags under her eyes as if she hadn't slept the entire night, her red hair was pulled back into a messy bun and the night clothes she wore were creased.

Alena looked around to see that the dress she had worn earlier in the evening hung on her wardrobe door along with the mask, as her eyes adjusted to her dimly lit room she could see the mud stains on her dress that caused as small frown to appear on her face. The only reason that her dress would have mud stains on it would be because she'd of fallen over. The realisation that she had fallen over seemed to jolt her memory as she remembered everything that had happened earlier in the evening, how she had dance in front of the large crowd without embarrassing herself with Samuel and walking out to the fountain where Samuel had kissed her, her lips tingled at the pleasant memory but it quickly went away as she remembered hearing a growl and seeing a sand coloured wolf with red eyes. A gasp escaped her lips as she relieved the moment that Samuel had charged head on at the wolf only to morph in to his own wolf mid-air, the sound of his bones cracking as they rearranged themselves, a coal black wolf appeared where he had once been standing as he attacked the other wolf with its teeth aiming for its jaw. She shook her head unable to face the rest of the memory as she knew how it ended, it ended the same way she had in her dream only the sand coloured wolf's head had rolled along the ground instead of her. A sob tore through her throat as her mum wrapped her arms around her and began to rock them both back and forth as if she were a small child; she didn't say anything as she patted her back softly.

Alena couldn't believe that Samuel had really changed into a wolf, and how Daniel and Dean hadn't done anything, as if seeing a huge wolf was a daily occurrence which to them it most likely was. Samuel, Daniel and Dean were all wolves; it was the only explanation for their calm reaction, which also meant that the rest of their friends and family were also wolves. She shivered in her mum's arms as she wondered how many people that inhabited the small town were wolves, she guessed that the majority if not all of those that had been at Frank's charity ball were werewolves which meant the major was also a wolf. She didn't know exactly what they were, werewolves, lycans, she didn't know. She wanted to believed that the entire transformation was a joke, that it was some sorry of special effects with a projector and screen but she knew that she was only lying to herself. What she had seen was real and she had to come to term with the fact that her friends and their families were humans that could morph into wolves bigger than the average sized wild wolf. The thought alone seemed crazy and if Alena hadn't witnessed it herself she would have questioned her sanity. Alena was a witch as was her mum and the oracles, there were other witches, she was real which meant the idea of werewolves or lycans being out there all the more believable.