28: The Fairy Godmother Boosts the Wisdom Spirit's Confidence

"And the second most important lesson that you shouldn't forget, Olly, is that you must appear weak at all times. And when they prey on you, that's when you're going to prove them wrong."

SURPRISINGLY, I HAD a number of wishers today. However, their wishes were almost impossible to fulfill by a forever human fairy godmother like me. That was why I had to make alternatives, other ways, to give them what they needed. However, not all they needed was always in the form of a granted wish. Sometimes, what they needed was actually a piece of mind and advice.

Pinakinggan ko ang kwento ng werewolf na isang grand marshal ng kanilang hukbo. He shared that he had been in the army for fifty years now. He served their kind and sacrificed himself countless times just to save their kingdom. By the looks of him, one would definitely say that he was brave, strong, and dignified as an officer.

"With my experiences and contributions, don't I deserve to become a general? I want to become a general before retiring." I observed how he clenched his fists as he continued, "Panahon na para mapalitan ang kaibigan ko. Panahon na para ako naman ang maging heneral ng aming hukbo. Lagi na lang siya. Nais kong ako naman sa pagkakataong ito."

He said that the rank of the grand marshal was second only to that of the general, which was the highest. This was the first time that I encountered someone so invested in titles that they craved more.

"Sir, mind me if I ask? Who do you think, between you and your general friend, had the longest length of service?"

Nagtataka man ay sumagot pa rin siya, "I served for fifty years, he did it for a century."

"And with that length of service, who do you think has rendered the most contributions?"

"He—But contributions should be uncountable. You cannot just measure and summarize the amount of sacrifices one had given through years. That won't justify all of them. May mga laban, tagumpay, at sakripisyo kaming nagawa na hihigit pa sa naibigay ng mga nasa mas mataas na katungkulan." Napayuko siya. "Hindi lang talaga sila nakikilala o nagbibigyan ng karampatang pagkilala."

"Exactly, sir. Your contributions and everyone else's who served in the military could not be measured merely by the years of service and, most importantly, by ranks."

Nag-angat siya ng naguguluhang tingin sa akin bago nagtanong, "Anong ibig mong sabihin, fairy godmother?"

"You say you deserve to become the general for all your contributions regardless of your shorter length of service compared to the current general, right? Are your arguments applicable only to yourself? Because if we consider contributions as the only determining factor to one's title, then shouldn't the soldiers who sacrificed their whole lives deserve it better? Shouldn't your comrades who died in battle but worthy of a better fate deserve it more?"