Chapter 11: A Study in Pink: pt 8

***Recap***

(Nikki just smiled slyly at her mate and their new friend. She wasn't ready to tell either man what she was but Nikki only knew that it'd be a matter of time before she had to tell them. John nods, then looks down at the card again before lifting his head and giggling silently.)

Sherlock: What?

John: Nothing, just: "Welcome to London."

(Sherlock chuckles, then looks down the road to where a police officer has apparently gone to investigate why the cab has stopped in the middle of the street. The passenger has got out and is pointing down the road towards the boys.)

Sherlock (to John and Nikki): Got your breath back?

John: Ready when you are.

(They turn and run off down the road.)

***Now***

(221B. The trio arrived back and walk along the hallway, breathing heavily. John hangs his jacket on a hook on the wall while Sherlock drapes his coat over the bottom of the banisters.)

John: Okay, that was ridiculous.

(They lean side by side against the wall, still trying to catch their breath.)

John: That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever done.

Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.

(John giggles adorably and after a moment Sherlock also begins to laugh, Nikki smiling widely next to her mate.)

John: That wasn't just me.

(Sherlock chuckles.)

JOHN: Why aren't we back at the restaurant?

Sherlock (becoming more serious and waving his hand dismissively): Oh, they can keep an eye out. It was a long shot anyway.

Sherlock: So what were we doing there?

(Sherlock clears his throat.)

Sherlock: Oh, just passing the time.

(Nikki and Sherlock look at John.)

Nikki: And proving a point.

John: What point?

Nikki/Sherlock: You.

(He turns and calls loudly towards the door to Mrs. Hudson's ground-floor flat.)

Sherlock: Mrs. Hudson! Doctor Watson will take the room upstairs.

John: Says who?

Sherlock (looking towards the front door): Says the man at the door.

(John turns his head towards the door just as someone knocks on it three times. He turns back to look at Sherlock in surprise. Sherlock smiles. John stares at him for a moment, then walks along the hall to answer the door. Sherlock leans his head against the wall and blows out a breath. John opens the door and finds Angelo standing outside.)

Angelo: Nikki texted me.

(Smiling, he holds up John's walking cane.)

Angelo: She said you forgot this.