Chapter 44: The Great Game: pt 14

***Recap***

(She gazes ahead of herself for a moment, then looks across to Lestrade before nodding. She turns her head to the mates.)

Miss Wenceslas: Moriarty.

(Slowly Nikki sinks back in her chair. As Miss Wenceslas looks anxiously at Lestrade again, Sherlock squeezes his mates shoulders as hide gazes into the distance, his eyes full of thought. Eventually he raises his hands into the prayer position in front of his mouth, then grins.)

***Now***

(After leaving Lestrade's office, John leaves to deal with the text from Mycroft as Sherlock wanted to spend a few moments stress free from the case with Nikki. He still wasn't fully convinced that she was back to normal.)

(BATTERSEA. Wearing a high-vis jacket over his coat, John is walking along the railway lines with the Tube guard who found Andrew West's body.)

John: So this is where West was found?

Tube Guard: Yeah.

John: Uh-huh.

Tube Guard: You gonna be long?

John: I might be.

Tube Guard: You with the police, then?

John: Sort of.

Tube Guard: I hate 'em.

John: The police?

Tube Guard: No. Jumpers. People who chuck themselves in front of trains. Selfish bastards.

John: Well, that's one way of looking at it.

(He squats down to look more closely at the railway track.)

Tube Guard: I mean it. It's all right for them. It's over in a split second - strawberry jam all over the lines. What about the drivers, hmm? They've gotta live with it, haven't they?

(John runs his fingers along the track, then lifts his hand to look at it.)

John: Yeah, speaking of strawberry jam, there's no blood on the line. (he stands up again.) Has it been cleaned off?

Tube Guard: No, there wasn't that much.

John: You said his head was smashed in.

Tube Guard: Well, it was, but there wasn't much blood.

John: Okay.

(He turns and looks along the line thoughtfully.)

Tube Guard: Well, I'll leave you to it then.

(John walks a few yards further down the line and then squats down again.)

Tube Guard: Just give us a shout when you're off.

John: Right.

(The guard walks away. John stands up again and talks to himself.)