Chapter 32: The Great Game: pt 2

***Recap***

(She storms off down the stairs. Sherlock moves from the window to stand in the middle of the room with Nikki in his arms grins over-dramatically at the bullet-riddled smiley face, then sighs and turns his head to look Nikki in her eyes. Sherlock looks down into his mate's face before placing a hand on her cheek and having her look up at him. Before he could lean down and kiss her, the windows blow in and the blast hurls the pair forward and to the floor causing Sherlock to land on top of his mate in trying to protect her.)

***Now***

(A groan coming from John, who is just waking up the next morning in the living room of Sarah Sawyer's flat. Sitting up on the sofa with his shirt unbuttoned, he has apparently slept on the said sofa and he is grimacing and trying to un-crick his neck. Sarah walks in, wearing a dressing gown.)

Sarah: Morning!

John: Oh, mor... (he turns to look at her but grimaces again and grabs at his painful neck.) Morning.

Sarah: See? Told you you should've gone with the lilo.

John (still rubbing his neck): No, no, no, it's fine. I-I slept fine. It's very kind of you.

(Sarah has been scanning the sofa as he spoke and has now spotted what she was looking for. She reaches behind John's back to pick up the remote control for the TV, then sits on the arm of the sofa and turns on the telly.)

Sarah: Well, maybe next time I'll let you kip at the end of my bed, you know.

(She looks at him suggestively, then turns her head towards the TV screen.)

John (also looking at the screen): What about the time after that?

(She looks at him and grins briefly. John turns his head towards her but doesn't meet her eyes.)

Newsreader (on the TV): Experts are hailing it as the artistic find of the century.

(The news item is showing a photo of the Hickman Art Gallery, with a headline at the bottom of the screen saying "The Lost Vermeer.")

Newsreader (on the TV): The last time ...

Sarah (putting down the remote): So, d'you want some breakfast?

John: Love some.

Sarah: Yeah, well you'd better make it yourself, 'cause I'm gonna have a shower!

Newsreader (on the TV): ... it fetched over twenty million pounds.

(John looks at Sarah as she smiles at him sassily before leaving the room. He chuckles silently and starts buttoning his shirt.)

Newsreader (on the TV): This one is anticipated to do even better. Back now to our main story. There's been a massive explosion in central London.

(John looks at the TV screen and his face fills with shock as the picture changes to show live footage of a road where brickwork is scattered all over the pavement, and police cordons have been set up to keep people out. The headline at the bottom of the screen reads, "House destroyed on Baker St.")

Newsreader (on the TV): As yet, there are no reports of any casualties, and the police are unable to say if there is any suspicion of terrorist involvement.

(John is already on his feet and he hurries around the sofa to grab his jacket before turning towards the door and calling out.)

John: Sarah!