Chapter 34: Animal

"This forest is so flush with life, I wonder how they were able to make this happen down here." Akita said as he studied a deer staring at the group.

Taking another step Jessie heard a stick break underneath him startling the deer. He watched as it ran away from the group into the forest leaving behind no trace it was ever there. He could hear the group sigh and turned to see disappointment in Akita's wooden eyes.

"Sorry about that." He said as he slowly raised his foot, the crushed stick fell into pieces.

"Nice job string bean." Rose said as she poked Jessie's side.

"You seem like you're in a better mood now." Jessie said as he followed the others.

"It's kinda hard to be nervous in a place this serene. It's hard to tell it's even December down here, all this green seems out of place." She said as she brushed her hand against the bark of a tree.

"What I don't get is why they need this down here in the first place." Travis said as he slowed his pace to match theirs.

"Maybe they needed a place to relax after a day of terrorizing Sherwood." Lily said shrugging her shoulders.

Doubtful.

Jessie stopped in his tracks.

Hello?

"Jessie? What are you doing?" Lily asked looking back at him confused.

Beaming Jessie jogged back towards the group.

"I can't hear L in my head anymore! Finally alone with my own thoughts." Jessie said triumphantly.

"Is it really that bad having him in there?" Lucas asked concerned.

Jessie found it hard not to smile as he heard no reply to his every thought.

"He asks so many questions about everything it's like dealing with a curious two year old, except I can't just turn on cartoons to distract him." Jessie replied.

"Sounds like a drag, can't imagine how you deal with it. If that was me I'd pop myself just to end it, then again you can't really do that can you" Sarah said as she nearly tripped on the roots of a nearby tree.

Catching his sister as she stumbled into his arms Toby looked up towards Jessie with an apologetic look.

"Don't mind her she had a horrible childhood." He said as he gave his sister a death glare. She scoffed, pushing him aside as soon as she regained her balance.

"We had the same childhood idiot." She said pinching his arm. "Don't talk to your older sister like that."

Jessie chuckled as Toby winced slapping her arm away. He felt someone place their hand on his shoulder and turned to see Akita beside him chuckling as well.

"Don't mind those two, you get used to them." He said as he continued walking, taking his hand from Jessie's shoulder.

"How long have you four known each other anyways? You all seem really close." Lily asked.

"Oh close to thirty years now." Lucas said.

Wow must be nice to have friendships that last that long.

He turned towards Rose and Travis smiling as he remembered their humble beginnings. He could feel someone pulling the sleeve of his uniform and looked down to see Lily looking at him.

"How long have you known those two?" She asked as she pointed towards Rose and Travis.

"Since kindergarten."