Chapter 42

Pulling the shirt he had stolen over himself Jessie sighed at the onlookers staring curiously at him.

"Guys you got to stop staring, its weird for me too please don't make this harder." Jessie said as he buttoned up the shirt.

"Sorry it's just...hearing about it is one thing but actually seeing you come back was...something else." Lily said as she poked his stomach.

The wound from the steel beam had already healed leaving nothing behind to suggest he had even been hurt. Jessie brushed his hair behind his ears and stared at the others.

"The fact that not even a scar is left behind is the weirdest part." Travis said as he lifted up Jessie's shirt.

"Stop that!" Jessie said as he fixed his shirt back into place .

"The only notable change is his hair, which by the way grows every time he...well dies." Lily said picking up a lock of Jessie's new hair.

A chill washed over Jessie as L appeared on his shoulder once again.

"If the smoke returns Jessie to us with his hair grown than it is by the smokes choice. There is no way to know why or even a reason to care. The most important thing now is for Jessie to say my name." L said annoyed.

"I'm never going to feed you chorizo again if you keep bugging me about your name L." Jessie said as he brushed him off his shoulder. He watched as L flew to the railing above them.

"This is no longer about petty reasons Icon, this now concerns something that is greater than us." He squawked.

"What are you talking about?" Lily asked stretching towards him.

"There is something in this dungeon that radiates an energy that I do not like, one that is too familiar. I don't trust in your ability to handle this so for the sake of saving us I need you to say my name."

"We already know about Plague, and I can handle him. Now that I'm full of smoke again our rematch should have the same outcome." Jessie said as he rolled up his sleeves. "I know you're worried L but I'm strong enough to handle him now."

"Besides he's not alone, we're gonna be right next to him when it happens." Toby said clasping his hand on Jessie's shoulder. "Plus you're giving off really creepy vibes so I'd prefer if we didn't have to rely on you to save us."

"If you run out of smoke again are you just going to kill yourself in hopes of rejuvenating?" L said ignoring the others words.

"It won't come to that." Jessie said annoyed "You know for someone who claims to care for my wellbeing you show it in odd ways, you don't even have any faith in me."

"You warned me to run and hide when Animal attacked instead of trusting me to be able to handle her. I was the one to bring her down, I think its time you start showing me some trust."

"What of the swordsman then. Hmmm? Do you think he would call that battle a victory?" L said looking down at Jessie in contempt.

"Are you talking about Akita? Are you shit talking MY husband!" Toby said suddenly furious.

"I have no intention of speaking ill of the dead, nor do I believe he deserves ridicule but the fact of the matter is if I had been listened to he would still be alive. I am asking you to make the right decision and let me help you." With his final word L became a puff a smoke and returned himself to Jessie leaving the others stunned.

"I'm going to kill your bird Jessie." Toby said annoyed.

The expression on his face left Jessie feeling sad for his new friend.