Chapter 19

"What the fuck is that!" Lucas screamed as he fired a bolt of lightning at the beast, sending it flying towards the hostages. They screamed and shuffled away from the body as fast as they could. They piled against the walls, one woman hid behind a soldier and cried.

He sighed and let go of Jessie. He stared at the charred remains of the monster on the floor and shook his head.

"That used to be a man and now there it lies on my floor. Do you see what your employer is doing to the townspeople? How can you stand behind him and watch as he does this." Lucas staring down the soldiers.

Some put their heads down and stared at the remains except one. He stood steadfast and stared back at Lucas. He was a smaller man with a patchy black beard.

"They pay for my sister's medical bills. For that, I'll do anything they ask, with no remorse." He said taking a seat on one of the remaining chairs.

"I admire the balls on you saying that as a science experiment lay dead next to you. I hope that reason helps keep you warm in that cold jail cell." Lucas said grasping his revolver with such force it shook in his hand.

"You don't get it, do you? They own this town, they own everything and everyone who matters! We won't even exist come tomorrow." The soldier said taking off his helmet revealing disheveled black hair.

"What are you talking about? What's happening tomorrow?" Jessie said as he walked out from behind the bar.

"Jessie get back here! What are you doing?" Toby said getting up from his hiding spot.

"Toby they've lost their will to fight. Their friend just offer himself in front of them. They no longer wish to fight." Akita said sheathing his sword with a click.

The soldier chuckled.

"He's right. Even if I ordered my men to fire I know they wouldn't. They are good men." He said solemnly as he stared at his dead friend laying on the floor. A pool of blood had started to collect and soaked his boots. The other soldiers started to untie the hostages and sat on the floor. One cried and held the woman who hid behind him. One man ran immediately from the bar.

"This is a bar right? Get me a drink and I'll tell you all. What else have I got to lose right?" The man said unstrapping his helmet.

"Didn't you just say they paid for your sister's bills? Won't they stop paying them if they find out you told us what they were planning?" Jessie asked picking up a bullet-ridden chair from the ground.

"After what I heard tonight it won't matter anyway, we'll all be dead by tomorrow." He said as he watched the hostages who were too frightened to move.

One shook in shock and stared at the remains of the monster.

Jessie felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up to see Lucas with a glass of brown liquid in his hand.

"If what you tell me is worth it, I'll give you the drink. So get to talking." Lucas said as he picked up one of the ruined chairs. He placed the drink on top of the table and stared at the man.

The man scoffed and ran a hand through his hair. He shook his head and his eyes fell once more on his comrade on the floor. He sighed and stared at Lucas.

"Alright, alright." He sighed. "You ever wonder when the world was gonna end?" He said with a raised eyebrow.

Jessie looked at Lucas confused and he returned it with a shrug.

"I was sent to base to pick up some new equipment for my men when I noticed the boss was talking to one of his super-powered cronies. I don't think he noticed I was around. Now seeing as he was my boss and apparently the leader to this so called militia, I felt inclined to listen to what he was saying, so I hid behind a pillar and listened. He was talking about something called the Zero event and how it was going to be the end of the pain." He said looking concerned.