Chapter 45: Limbo

As the crashing boom of the thunder disappeared all that was left was Lucas' ragged breathing. Jessie ran to his friend's side catching him right before he fell backwards. He could feel his chest rise and fall, he could see how exhausting it was for him to continue breathing.

"Come on Lucas, breath buddy. I can't have you passing out on me here." Jessie said as he laid him against a nearby cabinet.

Lucas chuckled, oblivious to the small flecks of blood leaving his lips as he did. The magnum's light dimmed before finally fading away, leaving Lucas' hand empty.

"Kid, I'm running on empty. I put everything I had left into that last shot." Lucas said as he rested his head against the metal drawers behind him.

"Sad to say I've given all I have, the rest is up to you." he said with a blood-filled smile.

Before Jessie could reply another volley of light and sound assaulted his senses, he grabbed his ears desperate to block out the sound. He watched Lucas grit his teeth before passing out, a small stream of blood flowing from the corner of his mouth. Gritting his teeth Jessie rose with great difficulty, his body unable to find balance as he did so. Tripping over his feet he planted his hand against the cabinet where Lucas rested.

The noise suddenly stopped giving him a moment to catch his breath, he pulled his hand away leaving a bloody handprint behind. He stared at it feeling his pulse quicken, he looked down at his in quiet contemplation.

If I can't free Plague from Kazimir's mind control, what am I gonna do to stop him?

The only course of action is to kill your fellow Icon, to leave him alive is a potential threat to your future.

You say that, but I don't think I could kill another person.

You may not have the choice to spare him, Kazimir is powerful. Even more so due to his control of Plague.

A sudden burst of heat and light ended the conversation as a stray fireball crashed into the floor beside him. It left behind a giant scorch mark, bringing Jessie back to his senses. He turned to face the direction of where the fire was and ran, leaving behind an unconscious Lucas. Pulling out his phone Jessie sent a quick text to Lily letting her know where Lucas was.

There now I don't have to worry about Lucas.

Just as he placed his phone back into his pocket a gunshot rang out to his left, and he turned in place running toward the noise. Multiple shots filled the hangar as Jessie sprinted, he could feel the temperature drop as he came closer. Sidestepping past a collection of old computers, he found himself standing directly behind Sarah, she turned to face him as she reloaded her pistol.

"About time you made an appearance. Where's Lucas?" She asked as she slid a new magazine into her firearm.

"Passed out, Lily's on her way to take him somewhere safe." Jessie replied before Sarah unloaded the magazine at the figure in front of the two.

Ahead stood a solid black wall, every shot pathetically struck and fell to the ground as the wall slowly approached them. Eventually, Sarah's pistol clicked letting her know it was empty, cursing she tossed it at the barrier before grabbing hold of Jessie's arm.

"How come you can't do that?" She said as a black tendril shredded a stack of old boxes behind them.

"He's been training to control his powers since birth and just got mine last week, so cut me a break!" Jessie screamed as another tendril slashed the ground ahead of him, creating a giant gash in the metal floor.

"Jessie! Stop running and face me like a man!" Plague cried out as he reared back his arm creating two of the densest tendrils Jessie had ever seen.

Right as he unleashed his attack a hidden Rose leapt out and grabbed him by the waist before setting him and herself ablaze. The tendril dissipated right before they reached Sarah leaving her standing in fear even as they disappeared. Plague screamed as the flames grew in intensity. Desperate to free himself from Rose, he slammed his elbow onto the top of her head knocking her and her flames out. Charred black, he grabbed hold of the limp Rose and tossed her aside as he flooded his body with smoke.