Chapter 39: My Mom

Jessie gasped as he broke the waters surface, every breathe felt like a victory as he struggled against the waters pull. The very air seemed to welcome him home as he stared into the dark sky above.

He stared in awe, marveling how beautiful and close the moon was. The lack of stars around the celestial body didn't matter to Jessie, he was enthralled by the sheer size of it. The pale light reflected on the moon shined on him filling gum with a strange cold feeling, it was strangely comforting.

He wiped back his hair out of his face and took a look around him. A familiar beach brought a smile to Jessie's face only for it to disappear as he noticed who was waiting for him on the shore.

He swam towards the shore feeling less resistance as he made his way closer. The light of the moon was guided his way to shore, his arms burned with fatigue as he waded his arms through the black water. He swam until he felt the ground beneath him.

Exhausted from his swim he collapsed on his back facing the sky above. As he panted he stared into the starless sky feeling the competing chill, he closed his eyes trying hard to remember. He racked his brain desperate to find the answer, to why he was in the Void.

"How great, even in death you're still bothering me." A voice said behind him.

Jessie tilted his head back to see his mother smiling down at him.

Looking at her upside down she almost looks like she's happy to see me. Almost.

"You gonna lay there taking up space or are you gonna get up?" She said annoyed.

"You could have helped me to shore you know." He said looking up at her.

"Why would I help you, be a man and handle your own shit Jessie." She said scoffing down at him.

Jessie sighed as he rose to his feet, he brushed off the sand on his body and looked down at his Mother. She sat in a beach chair looking up at him in contempt. A large umbrella beside her cast a shadow around her, she drank from a glass playing with a tiny umbrella. The whole scene lacked color, lacked any sense of familiarity.

"I didn't expect to see you again." Jessie said rubbing the back of his neck.

"Why not, this is where all dead people go and you did kill me." She said bluntly.

Jessie winced as he remembered that night. It sent shivers down his spine leaving him feeling cold.

"I'm sorry about that mom, you didn't leave me with any choice. You were gonna kill me." He said feeling shame wash over him.

His mother stopped playing with her drink umbrella and pointed it towards him.

"I did kill you, and if I had known you were like the other one I'd have put you down for good. Do you not remember me bashing that thick skull of yours?" She said flicking her toy at him.

He flinched as it weakly hit his chest, he recoiled as his mother laughed.

"You look even dumber than usual Jessie, don't tell me you don't remember that night?" She said almost happy to see him uncomfortable.

"I-I remember mom, I just regret how it ended."

"D-do you?" She said in a mock stutter.

Jessie felt his face flush in shame.

"You come all this way after killing me, sending me to this dark nowhere and tell me you regret it?" She said annoyed.

"Yes?" He said quietly. He rubbed his hands together nervously feeling his mothers gaze beat him down.