Chapter 6:Venom

The man pounced on them cackling as he fell from the ceiling. Still holding Travis, Jessie rolled over on his side catching the side of his head against the wall, barely dodging the man as he landed with a thud next to them. He winced and dropped Travis from his arms. The man now turned towards Travis who was laying on the floor beside Jessie and jumped at him holding out his hands in an attempt to grab Travis' throat. Jessie stared in awe as the man fell through Travis and slammed his head on the lockers behind him. Travis seemed nearly translucent, confused by what happened he returned to his normal state. Taking advantage of the situation Jessie ripped off his backpack emptied its contents and slammed the bag onto the man's head.

"Run!" He yelled as he tried to grab his hand only for his own to pass through Travis'. They looked at each other confused.

"That hurt!" The man shrieked as he clawed at the bag around his head tearing it to shreds. He turned to face them and was met with the heel of Jessie's boot sending him crashing into the lockers behind him again. Jessie tried to grab Travis' hand again feeling it connect this time and pulled his friend to his feet.

Both of them bolted towards the gym where they saw the door Jessie barricaded melting in what looked like a pool of green sludge.

"We need weapons!" Jessie yelled.

"Where are we gonna find weapons in a school?!" Travis replied.

They turned to look at each other and in unison said "The supply room!"

Running to the door opposite the locker room they opened it revealing a wide variety of sports equipment. Grabbing what they thought was useful they headed out with a baseball bat, a lacrosse stick, with Travis wearing a batting helmet. The man threw open the door laughing.

"Well, well, well, I've never had this much resistance from kids before it makes me even more hungry."

He started running and leaped onto the wall behind them, sticking to the wall. He started running circles around them on the surrounding walls cackling, as if playing with his food before he ate it.

Jessie could feel his knees shake as the man circled them and breathed heavily as the panic started to rise dramatically inside him. Small wisps of black smoke escaped from the corner of his lips.

Finally deciding on a spot the man lounged on his back staring at them.

"So you've been exposed to the smoke too huh. The only way to explain that little magic trick you pulled." He asked amused.

"What smoke what are you talking about?" Travis yelled back. He stood tall and firm but his legs were shaking. The man noticed this and smiled.

"The smoke, the mist that gave you these abilities. Your friend is making some right now as we speak." The man said as he picked at his teeth with his pinky.

Travis turned to look at Jessie with confusion on his features. A wave of embarrassment washed over him as his friend stared at him causing a stronger stream of smoke to escape.

"Is that what it does?" Jessie asked the man.

"Ooh, so it looks like your friend doesn't even know what it is. That's hilarious!" He laughed completely entertained by the children.

"What the is he talking about?' Travis asked turning to face Jessie.

"In the locker room when we were hiding, I was starting to panic and I may have accidentally exposed you to it. After that he jumped straight through your body." Jesse explained.

"You let me inhale some weird smoke from your body? Dude what the fuck."

"Wait I remember now!" The man exclaimed suddenly serious. He leaped from the wall to the floor and stared at Jessie with curiosity in his eyes." You're the same as him, so your Jessie."