Chapter 22

"I better get to shoot at someone Jessie!" Sarah said as she closed the door behind them.

Travis looked out into the back alley that they now stood in. There was a van in between the bar and the building next to it.

It was now raining and he could hear screams in the distance. Mia shook in his arms and Rose handed him her jacket. He nodded and covered Mia's head with it protecting her from the rain.

"Come on kids we don't want to waste this opportunity to get the hell out of dodge." Sarah said as she ran towards the van.

Travis followed her and handed Mia to Rose as Sarah opened the back of the van. As the girls piled into the back,Travis hurried to the passenger side and climbed in. He turned to check on the others and was surprised to see them sitting on a couch.

The back of the van had been renovated to house a couch and was lit up by led lights.

"Ok kids don't make a mess, Lucas will kill me if I mess up his van again. Watch the leather, let's go." Sarah said as she turned the ignition. The van roared to life and the headlights turned on.

Standing in the beam were a few disoriented soldiers.

"Go go go!" Lily yelled stretching her head between Travis and Sarah.

"I don't want to hit them." Sarah said as she honked the horn.

"What are you doing?! Now they all know we're here!" Lily yelled.

The soldiers had regained their composure and drew their weapons. They aimed them at the van and turned on their beams of light. Travis could see a beam line up to his forehead.

"Fuck this." Sarah said as she stuck her pistol out of the van window. She fired shots at the soldiers and stepped on the gas.

The soldiers recoiled and jumped out of the way of the van. The vans wheels spun as they raced out of the alley just barely missing the soldiers. Shots fired behind them and broke the street lamp to their right as they barreled out of the street and out of their line of sight.

"What was that?" Travis yelled as they barreled down the road.

"I solved our problem kid, that's what that was. You heard what your friend said, we have to get Mia to safety." Sarah said as she holstered her pistol.

Travis stared at her then to the girls in the back. Mia was holding on tightly to Rose and lily shook next to them.

"Come on! If you guys are gonna go after these guys you can't be this squeamish. I didn't even kill them." Sarah said impatiently.

"I don't think being upset we almost ran over two guys makes us squeamish." Travis said upset.

"Well it doesn't make you what you need to be to beat these guys."

"What do we need to be?"

"Ruthless. This guy has a literal army and you have acne, having a ruthless attitude is what's gonna close the gap." Sarah said as she looked in her rear view mirror checking on Mia. "Maybe."

"Right..." Travis said in response.

Sarah turned to see him staring and smiled.

"Hey, you said you were a big fan right?" She asked as she reached into the glove compartment.

"Yeah, I've been listening to you guys since your first album." Travis said sheepishly.

"A diehard huh? Well seeing how we are now good friends, why don't you take this." Sarah said as she pulled out her prize from the compartment.