Chapter 16:Overdrive

"So what's the plan now?" Jessie asked as he helped Lily over a creek bed.

"Well our main priority right now should be to find a safe place to stash Mia while we go out and save our middle of nowhere town." Travis said nonchalantly.

"Do any of you guys have a spot like that, because I'm gonna be honest if I go back home right now I won't be able to leave till Christmas." Lily asked.

"Well Jessie and Travis are an obvious no go. They're parents would rather do anything than help their fellow man. No offense." Rose said casually.

"None taken." Jessie and Travis said at the same time.

"What about you Rose?"

"Well considering the last time I was home I stole my dads car and left it at the hospital I have a feeling my parents won't be too happy with me." Rose said as she bowed her head.

"Are we all terrible kids?" Jessie asked. There was a collective nod and the matter was settled.

"Maybe Mia has some more family she can hide out with." Lily said as she stretched her head towards Rose who was now carrying a sleeping Mia.

"Anyone else think it's weird that an eight year old is sleeping this much?" Travis said as he glanced at Mia.

Now that he mentions it she has been sleeping a lot more than would be normal.

"I'm sure she's fine, you gotta remember she's dealing with a lot of stress too." Lily said wagging a big finger at Travis.

"Let's wake her up" Rose said sat down on a nearby tree stump.

They stopped as Jessie shook Mia's shoulder gently.

"Hey Mia. Can you wake up for us?" Rose said gently.

She stirred in Rose's arms and shifted her face to her other shoulder.

"Promise her candy or something. What do kids like?" Travis said pulling out his phone.

"God, you'd make a terrible father. Just scare her awake." Lily said as she stretched down towards them.

Jessie sat on a fallen log and sat Mia down on his leg. She stirred awake and looked him in the eyes.

"Are we home yet?" She said rubbing her eyes.

"Almost buddy, we need to ask you a few more questions if that's ok." Jessie said handing her the stuffed turtle.

"That's fine. What do you wanna know big guy." Mia said as she yawned.

"My name is Jessie." He said as he pointed his thumb at himself.

"I know I just like giving people nicknames. Your big guy." She said while pointing at him.

She turned her finger at Rose."She's pretty lady."

Her finger switched to Lily. "The stretchy girl is funny so she's jokester." Mia said filling Lily with pride.

"Short guy over there is weird guy."

Travis huffed and leaned against a tree. Jessie chuckled and smiled at Mia.

"Those are some pretty good names. Can you tell us some other names, like if some other family you might have in town?"

"I have an uncle name Lucas, he runs a grown up store." Mia said as she rubbed her eyes.

What kind of grown up store?

"What's the store called honey?" Rose asked.

"Galaxy bar."

Suddenly Travis appeared next to Jessie completely serious. He practically buzzed with contained excitement.