Chapter 3

As Jessie pulled into the school parking lot he could see the plaza with the memorial to the Johnson boy. He saw a little girl who looked too young to be in a high school leaving flowers on the bench. There was a boy next to her, but his face was obscured by a tree blocking Jessie's view.

I forgot they finished renovating that place while I was gone. That's nice that they showed up to leave flowers, they must have known that kid.

As he unlatched his helmet and started to guide his bike towards the bike rack he caught his tire on the edge of the sidewalk. He fell over on top of his bike, causing a loud crash. He raised his head and winced as he looked down at his hands, seeing a large cut on the back of his right hand. He picked himself and his bike up, carefully so as not to touch the back of his hand against anything. 

"Nice landing pyro." Said a passerby as he walked past Jessie leaving him in front of giggling strangers. Embarrassed he locked up his bike and made his into the school.

The hallway entrance was covered in school trophy cases filled with school accolades. Upon further inspection, he could read his brother's name on several trophies for academic prowess.

Reading these trophies filled him with pride and grief at the same time. He missed his brother and always lived in his shadow but he would rather live there than without him. As he was focused on the trophies he didn't notice a very short young man approaching him from behind.

"Jesus you're tall." Travis said in awe.

Startled Jesse jumped and bumped into the display case rattling a few trophies.
Rubbing his head he turned around.

Travis was wearing his usual baggy clothes accompanied by his wide grin.

"You say that every time you see me, man." Jessie said.

Travis hit him in the arm with surprisingly more force than it appeared his little frame contained.

"It's great to see you again man."

They very awkwardly embraced. They parted and Travis smiled at him.

"You came just in time, I just got a text from Rose saying she is in the library with her mom." Travis said as he headed down

"Why is she already in the library?" Jessie asked catching up to Travis in a few steps.

"Her mom asked her to help unload some new books from her van."

As they spoke they walked inside the library, it was a massive room with wall-to-wall shelves with hundreds of books.

"While you were in the hospital, her mom made a special place just for her. Considering this is her favorite place in the world. A little alcove hidden away because Rose is rather shy, you know when she isn't hitting us." Travis said as he stared at a shelf as they walked towards the front desk.

"Wow, her mom did all that for her. What else did I miss while I was away."

"Not much. Oh, I forgot to mention the best part the school doesn't know about it so we can't tell anyone it exists which is super handy to ditch class."

As they continued their discussion they made their way to the front desk. Behind the desk was a rather tired-looking woman with faded red hair.

"Mrs. Donovan! How good to see you." Travis exclaimed.

"Travis how many times do I have to tell you to be quiet in the library. Please act your age, it's strange to think your seventeen." Mrs. Donovan said as she rubbed her forehead.

"Oh sorry, mam. Look it's Jessie." Travis said as he presented him theatrically.

"Yes, I can see it's Jessie. It's good to see you, honey. How are you feeling because from the looks of you, you seem fine?" She asked as she looked at him closely.