Chapter 37: See You Again

Jessie shook his head, trying his best to recover from falling for what seemed like forever and taking what he now knew was rebar to his side, he found it a bit difficult. Grabbing his side tentatively he made his way to his feet but not without letting out a pained groan.

"Lily!" Jessie cried out. "Are you still alive?"

He heard a small groan behind him and turned to see her deflated on the ground. Thin as a pancake she was spread out on the floor.

"You owe me your life lover boy." she said as she slowly stretched back to her normal length. She laid on her back staring up at Jessie, she held out her hand.

"What happened." he asked as he took her hand helping her up. He groaned as she knocked his side, moving the rebar slightly.

"When you grounded Animal the earth below us caved in." she said. "By the way you have a...little something right there." Lily said as she poked the rebar in his side.

He winced slapping her hand away.

"I would appreciate you not touching the piece of metal sticking out of me." Jessie said wincing.

"We've gotta get it out of you, we cant just leave it in there." she said looking green in the face.

"I used up most of my smoke pulling Animal out of the sky, I might not have enough to fix this." he said pointing to his new metal friend. "L wont even tell how to refill my smoke reserve either so he's completely useless"

"It might be his only bargaining chip against you right now. He still needs you to say his name for whatever reason so I doubt he's going to be any help."

"Right well for now I just have to deal, Where are the others?"

"Don't know, I just caught who I could see." She said scratching her head.

"Jessie! Lilly! Where are you?!" A familiar voice cried out.

Toby?

Jessie's eyes widened as he remembered. He turned to see Lily had come to the same realization.

"Toby!" Lily cried out.

"Where are you?!"

"Follow my voice!" Toby cried out in the darkness.

Jessie felt a hand touch his shoulder causing him to jump, jostling the rebar. He turned to see Toby pointing at his mouth then crossing his arms across his chest.

A copy?

"Hurry! We need some help over here!" Toby cried out in the distance.

Ok well that confirms that.

The copy of Toby silently took Jessie by his arm and pulled him towards the original. He groaned as they jumped over rubble and debris, pain shot his side as he ran leaving him falling slightly behind the others. He stumbled behind the copy arriving last to Toby.

The fist thing he noticed was the sheer amount of blood that pooled around the two men before him. The copy beside Jessie disappeared in a cloud of dust covering both kids. The pain in his side disappeared from his mind as he looked down at the deep gashes in Akita's chest, blood steadily pouring from the open wounds. He couldn't bring himself to move as he watched Toby sob over his body, gently shaking his shoulder.

"His spit wont heal these cuts and I don't know what to do to help!" Toby cried out in desperation.

"Please tell me your smoke can do something Jessie! Anything!"

Jessie felt shame wash over him as he stared down at Akita, it overpowered any pride he felt in taking down Animal.

"I-I don't have any left Toby, I'm sorry..." Jessie said feeling his heart break as what little color left in Toby's face faded away.