Chapter 8:Voltage

As they inched walked through the doorway a thundering boom echoed across the empty halls leaving their ears ringing. Jessie grabbed his ears and winced.

"I am already regretting our decision." Travis said as he put his hands down slowly.

They walked on trying to be as quiet as possible listening for possible danger.

"What's even up here?"Rose whispered.

"This floor has private science rooms for students who are seeking careers as scientists," Travis whispered. "I used to come here after school when I wanted to become a doctor."

"Whatever happened to that by the way?" Rose asked.

"Really right now? As we are heading to our maybe deaths?" Travis asked raising his eyebrow to her.

"You never told us why you gave up, and well we might never get a chance to ask after this so yeah right now."

Travis sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. Jessie turned to face him and a wave of sadness washed over him as he sympathized for his friend.

I'm glad Rose asked, I'm sure Travis would have just joked around and changed the subject if I asked.

"Well when Damien passed I sort of lost all my motivation. The only reason I wanted to be a doctor was to help him and with him gone I really see no point." Travis said quietly.

"You never really talk about your brother these days. I'm sure your brother had faith that you would be able to help him, you were his superhero." Rose said as she grabbed Travis' hand. "I'm glad you opened up to me about this."

Travis' faced turned a very noticeable shade of red as he raised his head.

"Well it's somewhat easier to talk about this kind of stuff since well you know." He said somberly.

Suddenly another clap of thunder echoed through the halls and the floor shook. The lights flickered, going out leaving them in total darkness.

"Well this is creepy as shit." Jessie said as a chill ran down his spine.

"Here let me get a light." Rose said in the darkness. A small flame came to life in the palm of her hand casting enough light for the group to see.

"You've gotten better at doing that." Jessie said as he bent down to look at the flame.

"Yeah I learned that really strong emotions help draw out that inner flame you know. It helps a lot that Travis is so annoying so I have a ton of angry memories to work from." Rose said as she beamed.

"It hurts me you can say that with a straight face." Travis said as he grabbed his chest dramatically.

"It's your fault for being annoying." Rose said shrugging her shoulder.

Another clap of thunder and a blue light appeared in one of the rooms at the end of the hall. Out of the corner of Jessie's eye Travis disappeared and Rose lifted up her hand confused.

Suddenly Travis appeared further down the hall.

"Looks like we know where we're heading." Travis said as he scratched his head.

"I didn't even feel you let go of my hand. Just pins and needles and you were gone." Rose said as she shivered. "You disappear and reappear like a ghost Travis. It's kinda scary."

"How are you even doing that?" Jessie asked.

"Oh well it's not as mean as Rose's hate fuel where I think of a bad memory and I disappear. I just sort of shake it out." Travis said as he shook and waved his arm about. It disappeared leaving him an amputee. "When I wanna come back I just think real hard and." His arm reappeared and he gave a thumbs up.