26. Freedom?

2nd Person POV:
"Y/n, don't touch the cat. It's probably got diseases or something," Billy tells you before you can reach down to pick up the cat. Ignoring him completely, you ask, "Do we have any gloves?" No one responds, so you turn your head. "I want to give the cat a proper burial," you say glumly. Carrie kneels down in front of you like you're a stubborn five year old (and in some ways, you kind of are).

"It's dead. It's not suffering anymore, okay? We go back inside now." You glance at the cat, then back at Carrie. "Okay..." you mumble. It's okay, I'll just have to bury the cat on my own then... Then you, along with the killers, all head back inside.

~~

You waited until everyone in the house was either gone out killing or asleep so that you could bury the cat. And maybe have a chance at looking for C/n. It was a little risky, but it was something that you felt obligated to do.

To prepare, you snuck around the house, gathering supplies (a shovel, some gardening gloves, a flashlight, and a plastic bag). After all of those items were collected, you made your way to the door— only to find that it's locked. That left you with no choice but to exit out of the creaky bedroom window. You felt almost certain that someone had heard you, but you were planning to cross that bridge if you came to it. No reason to worry about something that hasn't even happened yet— if it will happen, that is.

~~

You walk down the road, the moon giving off a calm, gentle glow. You don't need your flashlight to see, but it would be better if you did. It's not like you'd miss anything though.

In the distance, you see a light beginning to approach you. You move away to the grass when you realize that what's moving towards you is a truck. A large, semi truck. You let it pass by you before continuing on with your walk. But as it does, you hear a high pitched whine come from under the truck. You stare at it with confusion before losing your curiosity of it entirely.

This is such a beautiful night. I should get out more often, you think as you pass by a small, black trash bag. Weird goo dripping from the bag makes contact with your shoe, and you wrinkle your nose in disgust. Ew. Is that You frown and think, There's so much garbage around. Our world is turning into a landfill. You then roll your eyes at a small, empty soda can that you see only a few feet away.

It doesn't take long for you to reach the cat. Its lifeless body almost exactly the same. The bottom of its foot looks to have been picked at by birds though.

You slip on the gloves on, which are a bright, F/c color. You then open the bag and gently.

"Okay..." you mumble to yourself  as you stuff the cat into the bag, its stiff body making many crinkling sounds around the plastic. Once you stand up with the cat in your bag, you wonder where to bury it. Your eyes drift to the forest. I don't really have an option... it's the only place where it won't get spotted easily.

You let out a nervous sigh, entering into the forest. You don't follow any trail whatsoever, you just mindlessly wander through it. You spend 10 minutes staggering around, unsure of where you are. You finally see a wide area of soft grass and dandelions, and you decide that this place is a nice burial spot.

You rest the dead cat on the ground beside you and begin digging. The dirt easily scoops up into the shovel, probably because of the recent rainy weather. It takes less than 10 minutes for you to dig up a hole big enough for the cat.

You pick up the bag and pull out the cat.

"I'm sorry," you whisper as you gently rest the cat in the hole. Its eyes are gaping wide, so you gently close them. Tears fill your eyes as you slowly begin covering the cat's body with dirt. Its blood smears onto your clothes and hands.