𝟎𝟎𝟏 Mentally Superior

Pilot.

chapter one , Mentally Superior

a/n : STFU I AM SO READY FOR THIS...sorry I yelled. May or may not be shaking with excitement for what I have planned

━━━━━━━━━━

All her life, Emerson thought about herself last. From keeping her parents satisfied to missing her photography club so she could take care of a neighbor's dog. Her parents taught her to push herself to be the best all her life. That meant being the best at school, getting into the best schools, joining the best extracurriculars (not creative photography club, by the way), and being the best person. And Emerson listened to them. She did it all. She did it all to the point that as soon as she graduated, she moved out. Now, she didn't just come up with that idea out of thin air. It was a multitude of things. They critiqued every small thing they didn't like about her; the amount of food she ate and how she looked, they dismissed any feeling or thought she had. "No need to be sensitive, sweet pea". Give me a fucking break. There was a lack of discussion which made Emery feel like she only had one choice. Her parents.

And as soon as her sister, Amaya, was born (she was 10), it didn't slow down. Her parents still kept their focus on Emerson, but they also let Amaya just be a kid. Emerson was jealous. Through her eyes, she wasn't the favorite. She was nothing but a machine built to make her parents and everyone else proud. And the girl didn't want that anymore. So, at the age of fourteen, she told her parents how she felt. It ended in screaming and her parents calling her their 'greatest disappointment'. They told her they weren't going to pay for her college and they weren't supporting her wanting to move out at 18. So, she applied for her first job at the local Albertsons. To her luck, her interviewer didn't ask for her age. She worked there for four years and was recognized for being the best worker. For the first time ever Emerson was happy about being the best.

With the help of bonuses and raises, Emerson had enough money to move out and get her own place. Even though Emerson had so many moments of doubt in her mind, she never looked back. For the first time in Emerson's life, she was selfish. And it was like a breath of fresh air.

Emerson's alarm blares through her room, causing her to reach for her phone and turn it off. Her eyes shift across the dozens of text messages and missed calls across her phone and she groans. Her eyes then catch sight of one text message.

Come over for dinner on Sunday, so we can talk.

She lets out a groan and tosses her phone to the side of her bed. She wipes her eyes and sits up. Emerson swings her legs over the bed and stands up. She pads her feet across the hardwood floor and her eyes meet the picture on the shelf. Her chest tightens and she knocks on the shelf four times before leaving the room. Emerson walks into the living room and is greeted with snoring. She looks at the girl sleeping on her couch and she shakes her head. "Yo."