𝟎𝟑𝟏 Family Time

Bobby Begins Again.

chapter thirty , Family Time

a/n : back to our regularly scheduled program

━━━━━━━━━━

"Jesus Christ."

"Don't say the lord's name in vein, sweetie." Amara walks past her youngest daughter. She lightly touches Amaya's curly hair before grabbing her mug.

"Mom, did you see the news?" Amaya grabs at the remote and turns it on. "Guys, look at this."

Emery pries her eyes away from the medical bills and looks at the television screen. The news was reporting another firefighter kidnapping a couple states away from them. Emery raises her brows, "The Firesnatcher strikes again..." she purses her lips. "They named dude 'The Firesnatcher'?"

Amaya turns to Emery. "You've gotta promise me to be safe."

"Right, be careful from 'The Firesnatcher'?" Emery snorts, she pushes her glasses up and looks back down at the papers.

"I'm serious." Amaya's voice was stern.

Emery looks back at her sister's worried expression. She slumps her shoulders, giving in and sighs. "Yeah, okay, I promise I'll be safe." She gives Amaya a soft smile. Amaya's shoulders sag with relief.

Emery looks back at the papers.

"Emerson, you really don't have to do this..." Elijah sits next to her with a heavy breath. Emery turns to her dad and slides him the plate of food. "Eat." She urges him.

"You're one to talk." Elijah quips, causing Emery to laugh softly.

"Besides, I don't mind." She murmurs. "I'm here for the weekend, so the least I could do is help out."

"What about your job?" Amara asks, sipping her mug.

Emery inhales a breath, "My captain cleared me to take the weekend off."

"The same Captain that's been fired?" Amara laughs into her cup.

"Amara, please..." Elijah sighs, his eyes falling shut.

Amara's jaw clenches and exhales through her nose. "All I'm saying is why trust a man who isn't being. Truthful on his records?"

"Bobby had a good reason, all right?" Emery retorts. "Now, can I please just..." she motions back to the papers.

Amara huffs and walks around the table. Emery closes her eyes and exhales through her nose. Her relationship with her sister and father were great. But her relationship with her mother...not so much. It's always been that way, even when she was younger.