𝟎𝟐𝟕 It was All a Lie

Fight or Flight.

chapter twenty seven , It was All a Lie

a/n : y'all i've barely been able to keep my eyes open to write, so this chapter took me awhile 😭

━━━━━━━━━━

"It was Doug."

Emery lifts her eyes from her blood soaked hands and watches as Buck talks to Athena and Bobby. She pulls her brows together, her brain still jumbled. She wipes at her hands onto her jeans.

"Doug Kendall." Buck continues. "He told Maddie he would kill her if she left him."

"Wh-what?" Emery pushes herself off the wall. "Why are we still standing here?"

"We don't have all the information." The detective replies.

Emery squints her eyes, "Chimney was stabbed. Maddie was taken. Doug threatened to kill Maddie. Case closed—go find him now."

Athena and Bobby look at each other, feeling the anger coming off Buck and Emerson.

The detective brushes off the girl. "You said he lives in Pennsylvania. He knows she was here?"

"No, sh-she—"

"Maddie was filing for divorce." Emery says. "That could have put her back on his radar."

"Well, we'll take a look at him, but before your friend lost consciousness, he said he was attacked by a Jason Bailey." The detective states. "Any of you know who that is?"

"I don't think so." Bobby answers.

Emery swallows and shakes her head, "No."

The man sighs and walks into the house. Emery squints his eyes, "I should curbstomp him."

"Down girl." Bobby says.

Buck follows the detective into the house. Athena, Bobby, and Emery follow after Buck and the detective. Buck continues to tell the detective about the man that Chimney recently befriended. They walk out of the other exit of the house.

"He got close to Chimney so that he could get close to Maddie." Buck says.

The detective doesn't reply. He just continues walking. Emery's anger increases, "Do you even care about this right now?—About what he's saying?"