𝟎𝟒𝟔 The Long Game

Christmas Spirit.

chapter forty-six , The Long Game

━━━━━━━━━━

The second Emery heard about Bobby being exposed to Cobalt, she had become restless.

She knows she was supposed to be patient and not rush any healing the team had to do as well as healing on her side, but she was worried about them.

Emery had practically forced herself into the holiday spirit. She was trying to heal and if that meant opening herself up to things she had completely void off, that's what she was going to do.

Emery was standing on the ladder, putting lights on the Christmas tree with Christmas music playing in the background. Every so often, she would hum along to one of the songs that was on but she would then look over at her phone, debating on calling anyone she had hurt.

After decorating the Christmas tree, she had moved to bake a pie. She's never baked a pie in her life, but she has followed instructions to the tee. Emery has heard that baking helps others, so she figured why not let that be one of the things that helps her? Even though she was a terrible cook.

Emery lets out a small gasp of pain as she pulls the pie out of the oven. She looks at the pie and sighs. "This actually looks good," she smirks. Emery then hums and looks back at her phone. The small smile on her lips falls and she groans. "Shit..." she grabs her phone and begins to dial a number.

"Hey, this is Maddie leave a message at the beep."

Emery inhales a breath, "Maddie, Hi!" she bashfully laughs. "Uh, it's...Em. Emery...of course." she rolls her eyes and silently berates herself. "I was decorating the house then I baked a pie." she tilts her head and keeps her eyes on the pie. "And it actually looks pretty good."

"Anyway, I just...wanted you to know that I'm okay." Emery bunches her shoulders. "Tell everyone that I'm okay. And...Merry Christmas." she ends the voicemail and sets her phone down.

Emery bites the inside of her cheek and presses play on the Christmas playlist again.

...

"Sir, this burning is going to go away, it's just gonna take a couple hours."

"Long before you need to be back in the North Pole," Buck adds.

One of the kids behind the firefighters sniffles. "Is Santa Claus gonna die?"

Buck and Tom look at each other, trying to come up with something to reassure the kids. "Oh, hey, no no. Of course not and don't you worry." Buck walks over to the kids and crouches in front of them. "He's not really Santa."