༺ 2 ༻

Heading to the Jeon's residence didn't take me long because not only did living in a neighborhood secluded from the city have the benefits of protected privacy, but also the advantage that the streets were mostly empty no matter what time or day i...

Heading to the Jeon's residence didn't take me long because not only did living in a neighborhood secluded from the city have the benefits of protected privacy, but also the advantage that the streets were mostly empty no matter what time or day it was.

The streets were quiet but my mind was not no matter how much I wished it was or breathed deep breaths. I couldn't imagine what brought my father to the Jeon's at this hour. A family that was as rich as anyone in this neighborhood was, possibly more so.

Fifteen minutes after leaving our house in a hurry, I pulled into the driveway only to be greeted by countless cars. The shiny polished vehicles lined the asphalt path that led to the mansion and I was forced to park my car to walk the last few feet.

I guessed that some kind of party had to be going on, because two security men were standing at the door, as I could easily see from this distance, because they had to be at least as tall as a door.

The front yard was lit by lanterns, giving me a small glimpse of how big this enormous property was, which probably had to have its own zip code. The dark night obscured my view of anything more than twenty feet stretching out toward the back. Uncertainty tickled under my skin, just like the situation we were in right now.

I pulled my jacket tighter in the front as a gust of cold wind slapped the water from the fountain that was centered in the driveway into my face, and annoyance traveled into my consciousness. As much as I liked the rain, I didn't like getting wet by random things, especially when the nerves were already making me bite my fingernails, which I strictly restrained myself from doing.

The puzzled glances of the two men standing at the entrance met me as I climbed the five steps leading up to the front door. They watched me from head to toe, clearly displeased that an underdressed woman had suddenly appeared here.

I couldn't have managed to throw on anything but a pair of pants and sneakers in a hurry, not that I wanted to or would have, because I wasn't here to join the party. The music reached my ears through the door and the conversations and laughter from the guests filled the otherwise silent night.

I had said my name at the main entrance before the metal gates swung open and I could drive my car through, which clearly did not pass the fancy headphones to let these two giants know of my arrival.

"Can I help you?" asked one of them, his bald head gleaming under the light he was standing in.

I nodded. "My father is in there and he's talking to Mr. Jeon," I explained to him. "I have to go see him. So if you let me in..."

He just hummed doubtfully and both men blocked my way with nasty looks in their eyes. As if I didn't have enough to deal with, now I had to deal with security too.

The other raised his eyebrow. "Do you have an invitation?" he asked, crossing his massive arms in front of his chest.

"No," I replied.