༺ 8 ༻

By the time Monday rolled around, I had packed the last of my stuff

By the time Monday rolled around, I had packed the last of my stuff. My clothes had all been moved by a truck yesterday, so the maids could arrange them before I arrived.

It was not appropriate for newlyweds to stay in different houses after the wedding, but if anyone in the neighborhood saw me at my father's house, I would simply respond that I had come to pick up the rest of my belongings.

Sophia handed over the suitcase in which mostly my toiletries were stowed to the man who worked for a moving company I had hired. And so there was nothing left in the four walls I had once called my room.

Empty bookshelves, my bed, and most of the furniture remained, however, because I didn't need them. Rai and dad could remodel the room into whatever they wanted and yet I knew it would stay as I left it. We had enough rooms in the house so it wasn't like they needed it.

I felt strange. Not only were two rings now clinging to my finger, but there was a weight on my chest. I had spent my life in this house, not having had the need to move out, because it had always been Rai, me, and my father anyway.

And now I had to move into a completely foreign house, sharing a life with people I had never even sat at a table with. I didn't know why I had agreed to move into the Jeons' mansion, because having my own apartment would have made a lot of things easier for me.

But it had been one of the stipulations in our prenup and for some reason, I didn't want to fight it, which is why I had quietly given in with my signature in the end. At least the mansion wasn't far from ours.

I tucked my charging cord into my purse and made my way down the stairs. The van with my things had already left I guessed since the entrance was empty. Sophia closed the door before she spotted me.

Are you leaving already? she asked, pressing her lips into a line. I wished I could bring her with me because besides someone I could ask for help in my daily life, I needed a familiar presence to lean on much more.

I nodded. "I still have a lot to do. Unpacking and stuff." I shrugged. "The sooner the better."

She looked over my shoulder before she could answer, making me turn around. My father stood in the doorway to the living room, a cup of coffee in one hand and the other shoved into his pants pocket.

"Do you have everything?" he asked, glancing around but unable to spot any more boxes.

"Yes. But if I've forgotten something, I can still come back for it," I said, and he nodded. It was only a fifteen-minute drive, so it wasn't the end of the world.

"Call me if you need anything," he then breathed out. While I appreciated him saying that, it made me sad that he walked away after that.

I didn't know what I was expecting, but a hug would have been nice. Anything.