༺ 10 ༻

I flopped onto the sofa with my iPad, scrolling through the sites

I flopped onto the sofa with my iPad, scrolling through the sites. I was in deep thought, trying to put together a perfect plan for Rai. It was his eighteenth birthday next week and I wanted to get him something nice that would live on in his memories.

He had often raved about taking a trip around the world, traveling to places he had not yet seen. As a child, we had made frequent visits to Japan to stay with our grandparents, spent a summer vacation in the Caribbean, and watched the Northern Lights in the freezing winter in Norway.

But Rai was an adventurous young man and I loved that about him. Materialistic stuff also counted for him, of course, and he appreciated whatever he got, but for him, exciting new discoveries and quality time meant much more.

I tapped my finger against my chin as images of Sicily and Mykonos filled my screen. Maybe these places were often visited spots, but still, you had to experience them at least once in your life.

I also browsed through the activities that were available to explore in India and Laos so that I could have him first tour Europe and then Asia. He would be graduating from high school in a few weeks, so he had the whole summer free to let off steam.

My dad had always been careful with Rai's credit card limits, not because he didn't trust him, but because it was always better to learn to manage money from a young age, even if you had a lot of it. Well, I couldn't say much about the latter now, because our situation was obvious.

It didn't mean we were poor or anything. We just had to control our expenses more than we ever did until my father got back his title as one of the best lawyers that society had taken away from him.

Still, I was glad that nothing had gotten around even if there were whispers about me suddenly marrying Jungkook. I always gravitated towards ignoring those anyway, so I didn't do it any different this time.

I decided to single out Mykonos because it was apparently very crowded with tourists in the summer, which I didn't originally intend to have. "This is harder than I thought," I muttered to myself.

I hadn't traveled to hidden gems much myself, which is why I couldn't just fish out a nice place from my memory.

"What's harder than you thought?" I heard a deep voice ask. Looking up, I found Jungkook closing the door to the bedroom behind him.

My eyes dropped to the iPad in my hand and I kept scrolling, googling for recommendations. "I'm looking for a gift for Rai," I said, hearing him hum.

He rummaged through a drawer and grabbed a shirt and pants, probably to take a shower. Just before he disappeared into the bathroom, he rapped his knuckles against the wood of the door frame. "Just get him a car or something."

I refrained from rolling my eyes. Of course, he would suggest that I thought to myself but I didn't say it out loud. "Thank you for your extraordinarily creative input."