༺ 12 ༻

The book lounged in my lap, a finger tucked between the pages, seeking to pick up where the story had paused

The book lounged in my lap, a finger tucked between the pages, seeking to pick up where the story had paused. The rain pattered against the window that led onto the balcony and slid down, leaving a wet path behind.

The weekend at the mansion was just as quiet as any weekday, although the whole family was present. Dinner being already over, everyone had retreated to the confines of their own bedrooms, doing what their definition of winding down for the evening was.

I focused back on the book in my hand, carefully picking up the story from where I had last left it. The spine of the book had already been broken by my mother and so the pages didn't make it difficult for me to read them.

Throwing my leg over the other, I sank back into the couch cushions, the pitter-patter of rain against the windowpane and the running of the shower providing a synchronized moment of rest for me.

The story that unfolded on the pages was not interesting by any means, to say the least. But it was a whole bunch better than sitting here doing nothing. At least now I had a voice buzzing in my head, taking me to another realm.

Sometimes I wondered what it would be like if the world wasn't as we saw it, but what we imagined. If you believed Picasso's words, then everything you could imagine was real. Through the eyes of a realist, that imagination was nothing more than a set of mere words.

There weren't many limitations, but sometimes it was the situations we were thrown into that knocked us into a state of stagnation. I was not saying I had an exciting life before this, but there was something about this house that forced mundanity on me.

Four months Jungkook and I had now been married and no day passed differently than the one before. The expectations placed on me had been low until now, as all that was ever required of me was to look pretty at the dinner table. The only time in the day I saw the whole family together.

After the deal I had made with Jungkook, our interactions had been better of sorts. We didn't talk more, maybe even less, only our conversations were no longer filled with snarkiness and savagery.

That didn't mean he teased or annoyed me any less, though.

When he was at work, I had my peace. When he came back in the evening, he would brag about how the bed was so much softer than the couch - which, mind you, he had only slept on for one night. I had always rolled my eyes and he had laughed mischievously.

The water in the shower stopped and that was my only warning that my annoying husband would step out of the bathroom in a few seconds. But before he did, a knock echoed against the oak door of the bedroom.

The knock had been delivered with precise intervals and equal force, and I had no more than one guess as to who was standing on the other side. Setting the book down on the table in front of me, I made my way to my visitor.