༺ 15 ༻

Reva

Reva

"I can't believe you said that." Jungkook's voice vibrated through the otherwise silent car as we drove through the empty streets back to the mansion.

I stared out the windshield and let my shoulders hunch up into a shrug before they dropped. We had been invited to a cocktail party today and were one of the last to leave. I preferred invitations like the dinner we had at Heba and Abbas' but this one had been tolerable.

Various businessmen and women had been in attendance, which was why it was an important evening for Jungkook. Usually, these get-togethers served as a way to mingle with important people and make new connections if the circumstances presented.

I didn't really know who the host of this event was, but the canapés and drinks were the best I had had so far. When I asked who the caterer was, I should have known that no one but Mr. Kim could be trusted with these exceedingly mouth-watering appetizers.

"Do you know how influential Mr. Steinberg is?" he asked, and I saw him glance in my direction before returning his focus to the street in front of him.

"His financials say otherwise right now," I commented on the obvious.

"Well, yeah. But that's what we're here for." He smirked as I stole a quick glance at his side profile.

I hadn't talked much all evening, but when Mr. Steinberg and his wife approached us to congratulate us on our wedding - even though it had been eight months - and apologized for not being able to attend the ceremony.

I had met the two a few years ago when my father was assigned to fill in for an employee's case at Steinberg Security. A middle-aged man had apparently fallen while installing security cameras, leaving Steinberg to suffer the consequences.

Steinberg had lost the case despite my father's careful work. But there had been little to do when everything went against the company's security procedures. There had been a hullabaloo about it, however, which died out soon after.

What many didn't know was that Steinberg Security had taken a tumble after that, but Mr. Steinberg had always been good at covering it up. Not until I had called him on it tonight.

"I'm kind of sure he does shady stuff, though, so be careful how much you let him into Jeon Coop," I advised him.

It was no surprise because a lot of rich people did shady stuff and covered it up with their bravado and undeniable influence. But who was I to judge considering I kept hearing about the cases my father was involved in? It had been practically everyday life.

"I know." he nodded. He turned into the street that led to the house and I began to feel my feet throbbing from the high heels I had been wearing all evening. They were now on the floor next to my bare feet. "Still, I have a deal with him, more or less."