༺ 19 ༻

I was on my way to the restaurant where Rai and I had agreed to meet for lunch

I was on my way to the restaurant where Rai and I had agreed to meet for lunch. He had finished all his exams already, so he had a few weeks off before his classes would start again.

I was hoping he was comfortable in his college, but from our phone calls every now and then, he sounded like he was and even enjoyed it. It was his first year as a computer science student and I was happy for him that he had gotten into the university of his choice.

It was sad that he moved two hours away but he visited regularly on weekends when he didn't have a lot of assignments since he now owned a car that my father had gifted him for his eighteenth birthday. For me, the most important thing was that he was happy and healthy wherever he was in life.

Parking the car on the side of the road in front of the restaurant, I got out, spotting Rai's car some distance away. He must have arrived first, even though he left after I did, but knowing him, he had to have been speeding a bit.

The restaurant wasn't too crowded when I stepped inside and a man about my age walked up to me, but I had already found Rai sitting at a table near the window, so I nicely told the waiter that I had someone waiting.

"Hi," I announced as I reached the table and Rai's gaze jumped up from the menu to me, a smile immediately melting onto his lips.

He towered over me and I noticed how much he had bulked up lately, as his shoulders had definitely gotten wider since the last time we met. "Hey. How are you?" he asked after we pulled back from our hug and sat down.

"I'm good. Everything's the same." I smiled and he nodded. "How are you? How's college going?"

"Not bad so far. It's harder than I thought it would be, though." he shrugged, making me laugh. He laughed with me.

Rai had always loved creating things on the computer, playing games, or doing all that other stuff with codes that looked like hieroglyphics. Not being a computer person myself, I had always been fascinated by how he could read and understand all that at a young age.

For a brief second, it made me think of Jungkook. How it had to have been for him to go through all this like Rai, except for having no one at his side to support him but Yoongi. I appreciated that I was now another person he had let into his bubble of personal space and secrets even if it was only a fraction of what I knew he was still hiding.

But each of us had a side that no one knew. The one that was constantly hiding in shadows. And in one respect, some of the weight on my back had come off when I'd told Jungkook about my dark side as we had sat on the rooftop.

"The most important thing is that it fits you. And if you made friends just as smart as yourself, then you can solve your problems together." I encouraged and motivated. Of course, literature was not as hard as computer science, but I knew how disheartening it could be at times to be a student.