༺ 30 ༻

double update, please read chapter 29 first <3

Jungkook

I sped down the road as fast as the traffic would allow. A couple of times I got nasty looks when overtaking and definitely some cursing, but I had a place I needed to be at the moment more than waiting at a red light.

I had picked up Dalrae's call a few minutes ago during an important meeting. And since she knew I didn't take personal calls during my work hours, my stomach had tingled when I'd seen her name on my phone screen and sent it to voicemail first.

Of course, that was only until she called again thirty seconds later, which had done it for me. And I thanked God that I had trusted my gut and answered the phone despite the confused looks on my employees' faces.

Because when she told me that Reva had fallen down the stairs in our house, I hadn't really bothered listening to the rest and had sprinted straight out the door. So here I was, probably a five-minute drive away from her. God, I had been just with her at lunch. How was this possible?

I hadn't fully grasped what exactly had happened, but the words fell down the stairs and fainted had been enough to put one and one together. What I also didn't understand was why Dalrae had called me home and not to a hospital. Why the hell hadn't they gone to a hospital?

I thought I was about to go crazy and wiped my hand over my face for the umpteenth time. I cursed the driver in front of me, even though I knew I was the one who wasn't sticking to the traffic signs.

A painful eternity later, which in reality must have only lasted fifteen minutes, I pulled into our driveway and up to the house. Without bothering to turn off the engine, I jogged up the stairs to the door.

The house was quiet, too quiet. I could hear nothing but my heavy breathing, a thousand different thoughts buzzing around in my head. Where would I find Reva? In the living room? In the bedroom? Just as I crossed the entrance hall and was about to take the stairs, I saw my mother in the corner of my eye.

"Mother." I breathed out, finding reassurance in the fact that she didn't look panicked. Well, she was calmness personified, so I didn't expect to be able to read anything from her face anyway. I walked towards her. "Where's Reva?"

"Son, why are you home already?" she asked instead, dismissing my question. Seeing the impatience in my eyes, she continued. "She's fine. No need to worry about something like this and leave work."

Was she kidding me right now? It wasn't time to interrogate my choice of leaving work. And I could definitely see how much she was understating things because Dalrae was not one for exaggeration. I trusted her words more than my mother's.

"Where is my wife?" I rumbled in a slow growl.

She actually looked taken aback but recovered quickly. Her eyes slid to the stairs. "Upstairs. In your bedroom."