༺ 5 ༻

Jungkook

Jungkook

The amber beverage burned down my throat and left a bitter taste on my tongue as I gulped down the fifth glass. But even more bitter was the fact that not even my drunken state was able to disconnect me from my responsibilities.

I whistled over to the bartender, who was mixing a cocktail for another customer, and he raised his index finger, asking me to wait a moment. But I didn't want to wait. I wanted to get drunk, even though I knew it was a long way to get there.

I didn't even know if my stomach was capable of holding that much liquid, but I was willing to give it a try. The last time I had drunk this much, I couldn't even remember. It had been a long time because I had long since resigned myself to the unadulterated taste of my life.

And this new phase I was in was due anyway. I knew that the time would come to settle down with the most suitable person for our family, and since my parents - or rather my father - had found me a compatible wife, there wasn't much left in my hands.

To be honest, I hadn't even fought it. I took it as it was thrown in my direction, so I was only half annoyed. Or maybe I was faking it, but it didn't matter anymore anyway. It was finalized.

"What can I get you, sir?" the bartender asked as if he hadn't already refilled me five times of the same liquid.

I looked down at my glass and raised my eyebrow, showing him what I wanted. He grinned for a moment and reached for the bottle, which was only half full. The best thing he could do was just give me the rest, then I wouldn't have to bother calling him every ten minutes.

I wasn't drunk yet, but fatigue was settling into each of my cells. Meetings and other errands filled my day, but I was used to it. Since graduating from college, I had been working at my father's company, which I would soon take over when he retired.

Sometimes I wished Yoongi, my older brother, was the one in my place. Not that I wished for him to shoulder all the burden that rested on my back, but I wondered what it would be like if he were COO instead of me.

Or married Reva.

I rolled my eyes as her name popped into my head. It could have been any other woman in this world and I would have reacted the same way. This was not a love marriage, but one of convenience, so I didn't give much attention to who it was.

When my father had dropped the news to me about his expectation of me finally needing a wife by my side to be a complete man and a good image for our family, I had known that it wouldn't be long before he imposed one on me.

And when the incident with Dalrae and that boy Raiden or whatever his name was had happened, the best opportunity showed itself. Because at sixteen and seventeen, the teens were clearly too young and no one would wait that long for both of them to finish college.