༺ 13 ༻

My tongue lolled at the corner of my mouth as I expertly stroked the brush along the edge that bordered the floor

My tongue lolled at the corner of my mouth as I expertly stroked the brush along the edge that bordered the floor. My back ached from the constant bending over the last few minutes, but I knew the final result would be worth it.

After making sure all the visible areas were painted over with the new color, I stood up straight, my bones cracking in the process. It wasn't like I'd been working on it for hours, but maybe I should get back to the gym.

Only this morning I had gotten the brilliant idea to paint the wall behind the bookshelf. I had been bored anyway and was looking for something to pass the time. Until the empty wall got on my nerves and I decided to paint it.

It had been a fleeting thought, but the deep emerald green would certainly compliment the wooden shelf. I was sure of it. So I had gotten one of the chauffeurs to get me the paint and started on it right after breakfast.

I was clueless as to how it should be done, but it wasn't hard and I certainly wasn't an amateur at it. I remembered my father letting me paint a small part of my wall pink when I was a kid because I was so obsessed with the color at the time.

Stepping back, I nodded to myself in satisfaction. All three edges of the wall had now been painted with a smaller brush. All that remained was for me to use the large roller to color the inside, and voila.

But before that a break was definitely needed, making me walk over to the table and take a big sip of my glass of water in which the ice cubes had already melted.

The room began to smell persistently of paint, so I opened the glass door leading to the balcony and stepped out into the fresh air. Today the weather was a bit cooler than usual, so the cold gnawed at my sweaty skin.

My green-stained fingers gripped the balcony railing and I looked out into the garden. The fountain was turned off and the flowers that bloomed colorfully a few months ago no longer existed, winter was now about to arrive.

There was still enough time before dinner to finish my work, so I didn't hurry back. I smiled as I watched two birds fly together and land on the balcony railing a few feet from me.

I made an effort to move as little as possible and took a mental note to mount a birdhouse with some seeds somewhere on the railing. The birds didn't stay long, as they were startled by a thud and scurried away.

Following the source of the sound, I found Jungkook's shiny black car parked in the driveway. He was standing right next to the vehicle, undoing the top button of his shirt. As if sensing eyes on him, his brown orbs found me standing on the balcony.

We hadn't exchanged a single word in the past few days. After hurrying out of the bedroom, I had sought out the rooftop. Spent an eternity just staring into space. When I had returned, Jungkook had already been in bed, but by the rhythm of his breathing, I had known he wasn't asleep yet.