༺ 3 ༻

I was rearranging my books and dusting them off when I heard a knock at my door

I was rearranging my books and dusting them off when I heard a knock at my door. I didn't look up and placed my favorite series in the middle of the shelf that had belonged to my mother and called out to the person standing on the other side of the door.

I bent to pick up the next books off the floor when I then saw shoes in the corner of my eye coming closer. Looking up, I grinned as I spotted Raiden slowly approaching. He never wore going-out clothes in the house, changing them the moment he stepped over the threshold because he hated the feel of jeans on the couch, so I guessed he was about to, well, go out.

He seemed unsure as he rubbed his hands together and gave me a crooked smile that didn't reach his eyes. I knew what triggered his behavior because he was still embarrassed about what had happened.

A month had passed since then, but Rai still felt like it was all his fault. Not that I'm saying he was completely innocent, because everyone had to deal with the consequences of their actions, but he didn't do anything that was completely reprehensible or illegal.

"Hey, Reva." he greeted. "How are you?"

I chuckled. "I'm doing all right. How are you, Raiden?"

He tried to suppress his wince, the sound of his full name making him even more uncertain. I called him Raiden when I was mad or teasing. He covered it up and smiled even wider. "I'm glad you're doing well. I'm fine too, thank you."

I set the last of the books on my shelf and turned my complete attention to him. I felt bad that I found it so amusing to tease him in his efforts, but it was funny regardless.

He turned his gaze to my shelf. "It looks very good. I like the color arrangement."

"Is this your way of sucking up to me so I won't tell you no?"

"What? No." he elongated the words, making him even more suspicious than he already was.

I stared at him with one eyebrow raised, hand on my hip.

He sighed, relenting. "Okay, you got me." he came to stand beside me. "Tristan asked me to go out with him. To get milkshakes or something."

"No crazy high school party?" I asked.

"Of course not," he answered honestly.

It wasn't like I would have said no or thought Rai was lying to me, but I just wanted to know. After the incident at the Jeon's, limits were placed on his going out times. Not as punishment, but as a discipline.

He had to understand that he was not invited to every house he was let into. But he was a smart and good kid, so he hadn't needed the talk and had apologized on his own for any inconvenience already.