༺ 4 ༻

I was getting married soon

The more I thought about it, the more bizarre it became, but I would soon bear a different last name. I was going to be part of another family to be their daughter-in-law. And a wife.

I would soon be the wife of a man I knew nothing more about than his name. Maybe it was better that way because it would prevent me from shaping an opinion on a personality I wasn't interested in anyway.

It was just an arranged marriage and not a love story worthy of its own poems.

I was okay with that because I had chosen that path myself. I could have turned it down, looked for other ways out of the impasse we were in, but I chose the easier way.

Why, I didn't know, because I had never been a quitter. Marrying someone to save your father's career was unbearably easy, but was it really that bad? Another something I didn't know.

But one thing I did know, however, was that my father had pulled the ship over land with his bare hands long enough, and instead of leading the way behind the wheel, I now had to get off and get bloody hands myself.

Maybe it was stupid, but my brain seemed to only survive with this solution. For my father, it was the stupidest decision I had ever even entertained as a choice. He had been against it and would be forever.

I thought he was mad that I had taken away his ability to work even harder for his family and I knew deep down that it actually was one of the reasons. He was not a proud man, but take away a father's chance to provide for his family and he was only half of what he needed to be.

I didn't care, though. I didn't believe in gender roles and always found them controversial. Not that I was saying there weren't certain things the man or woman had to do in a house to make things run the way they were supposed to. But was it really that reprehensible for me to want to protect my family the way my father wanted?

Maybe he wasn't a proud man, but I'd be damned if I was going to see my family crumble and fall without having done anything about it. And the figures of his debts danced so heavily on our shoulders that I knew it would eventually happen, even though my father assured me everything would be all right.

And that's why we had had an argument. It was the biggest fight I'd ever had with him because when we had disagreements, the discussions usually ended in an exchange of words and nothing more.

But dad had been so angry his voice most likely sounded through the whole house. Sophia had asked me about it, and I knew she had read the despair in my eyes because she wrapped me in her arms.

He had ended up burying his face in his hands and sent me out of his office. But he had to accept it because I had made up my mind. We didn't talk for two weeks after that, and Rai kept wondering what had happened.