03

: 𝗰𝗹𝘂𝗯 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗰𝗹𝘂𝗯

❥︎❥︎❥︎❥︎

Vivvian leans on the bar counter, her blonde curls violently dancing from the air vent blowing above her, and an unlit cigarette dangling between her red lips. Her legs stumble a little as she stretches to take her glass, but then she soon glugs it down like a baby with their milk bottle. And knowing Vivvian as I do, that drink surely wasn't her first, nor fifth, more of a tenth drink.

In just taking one more step towards her, her gaze turned upside down, staring at me with a completely different format. "G!" she drops the cigarette and outstretches her arms, "There you are!"

Vivvian Gold.

Flashing my teeth at my best friend, I take her in my arms for a hug, mainly holding her body upright.

Out of all the people I'd want to meet for a drink after last night, Vivvian would be the first thought in my mind. She has been my other half since I could last think back to her and has held me countable for as long as I could imagine. From giving me a home during my family drama to just being there for school, relationships, and the just the entire world. Plus, as for right now, I need her stamina again. After last night... I don't know what to think or what to believe.

And what's a better place to meet other than another bar?

Her golden gaze trails over the lengths of my dress, back up to my eyes again as I let go of her. Pure dread falls onto her face as her legs give up and she begins tumbling over the place, quickly dragging me towards the stool beside hers.

Giggling, she gulps down the remaining liquid in her glass and demands the bartender to knock one up for me. I watch from the bartender making my drink to Vivvian lighting her cigarette, wafting a cloud of smoke in my face.

She blows again. Brushes it away again. "Well, then, it feels like a decade since I've seen you, how's it been?"

"Mhm," I reply as I gulp down the whiskey, "Too long."

"Well then, what did you need to talk about? Is it your bastard of a dad, again or did you get kicked out of university?"

Sighing, I bite back the urge to tell her about the peculiar things happening back at the house and with my father. His behaviour changed all of a sudden. The cult of men hiding away in his office, all wrapped in million-dollar suites. The unusual choice of language they had been using during the dinner party. And how I spotted the same man, twice, with a gun in his trouser pocket.

I don't tell her, partly, because if I told Vivvian more drama-filled nonsense about my father when she's in this heavy state of mind, she'd probably go more than insane. Even more insane once she knows that this one has guns mixed into it all. I bet the poor woman hasn't even seen a real one before, let alone know what to do when it's actively around my house.