47

G I A V A N N A       A M A T O

The location where I was informed to go, stood right in front of me.
With my phone still propped in my hand, I gazed at the place. It had solid stairs leading to huge arches for the doorway creating a magical entrance, moulded pillars built across the walls, statues of figures implanted within the concrete, and massive windows which imaged the view of the interior contents.
Inside, it was quite empty, as it was early. A handful of people stood against the tiled floor, slowly walking through the room. Then, at the back wall, I spotted a gallery full of paintings, with hallways leading to other rooms.

It was a museum. I figured.

Frowning, I looked down at my phone, to see if there was a problem with it, or if I'd put it in the wrong location, but all I received was another notification from the same contact.

Unknown number: enter. Find Eric.

And again, they are watching me closely. They are reading my thoughts, my face.

Unknown number: now or never.

The stairs guided me inside the palace, which then immediately created me to greet a staff member at the door, dressed neatly in a black tie and waistcoat. "Hello, Ciao," he spoke,
"Hello," I greeted back, holding my hand for him to shake, and he does whilst asking, "Biglietto?" ("ticket?")
I shake my head, "No, I'm quo pernincontrare qualcuno." ("I'm here to meet someone.")

He takes a step away from the entrance, gesturing me to step with him with his hands. "Chi?" ("who?")
"Eric."
His eyes lift from mine, scattering the room, as he continues to speak, "Eric ha su di te, mi dice che la tua amicizia è meravigliosa." ("Eric has on you, he tells me your friendship is wonderful.)
Nodding, I agreed, playing along to whatever lies this Eric man created. "Sì, Eric e io molto vicini." ("yes, Eric and I are very close.")
"Lì!" ("there!") the man suddenly pointed to the other end of the room, where I saw another man, dressed in the same materials, talking to the crowd of people, propped beside an artwork. "Grazie," ("thank you,") I speak, heading off to Eric.

The place was getting more and more crowded as the time shifted, making crowds more common in the place, so, I had to squeeze through multiple sweaty bodies. But soon, I found myself in the presence of Eric.
"Eric." I tap the man's shoulder. At once, his body turned fully around, with a huge grin passing on his lips. Yet, he didn't say a word. "I was told to find you."

Ping!

My phone distracts me, as I look away from the man, to my phone.

Unknown number: 6660009. My friend Eric doesn't know faces. Or English.

"God, you have to be kidding. I'm not in spy kids." I roll my eyes, shoving my phone back into my pocket, and then spoke those seven digits I was sent, "Sei, sei, sei, zero, zero, zero, nove."

Right away, his posture changes to a rise, his lips remove the curve, and with his eyes deep inside mine, and he uses his voice with a direct tone. "Seguimi." ("follow me") he shuffles past me, and I follow him across the museum tiles to the other side. We met with a metal door, and Eric rattled a pile of keys from his trousers pocket, picking the correct one to unlock the door.
The door opened, welcoming me with an extended block of dark concrete stairs, leading down to the basement. The only way I could see it was because of the museum lights shining in.
I looked at Eric next to me, "Cosa c'è quaggiù?" ("what's down here?")
He doesn't look back at me, but just responds with, "Non lo so." ("I do not know.")

This doesn't appear safe at all.

Ping!

Unknown number: I said. Now or never.

Huffing, I move closer to the stairs, step inside the doorframe, entering. "Ciao Eric." but the only response I acquired was the door slamming violently behind me, carrying shivers down my body with it, with the most obvious addition of darkness.

I clutched my phone out of my pocket and clicked the flashlight option at the top of the screen, which then lightened up the narrow area I was placed in. Slowly, I established steps down the staircase, making sure I stepped correctly, in case I fell.

It took me more time than I had to, to walk down the stairs, but as I was finished, I was embraced by another pitch-black room, filled with nothing but my presence.
No doors. No windows. No souls. Nothing. I was trapped.

Ping!

I look down.

Unknown number: I told you to leave your guns. Didn't I?

Quickly, my fingers race across the keyboard, typing back to the number, hoping this isn't a sentence, and that he isn't going to keep me down here for still holding my guns.

Because if he does, I'm fucked.

And I can't call Lucas, whoever is texting me is closely watching me, and they are most likely to be observing Lucas too. Plus, I have no idea how much power they hold, but I know it's a lot.

It's their arena. Only they decide the rules.
But they don't know that I'll win.

Me: Sorry, I forgot. I'll give them to you when I meet you.

My eyes stick to the screen, waiting for a message back.

*typing...*

Unknown number: Place all your weapons next to the last step. Now.

Surprisingly, I did as he said. Under my trousers, I took out my two guns and placed them beside the step. Then, under my hoodie, I took my other gun and knives, again, positioning them beside the step.
I lifted my phone back out of my pocket, in suspense about what they will reply with.

Me: Hello?? I did it.

And at the same time, their text was sent through.

Unknown number: You'll know your next action.

A frown forms on my face as I read the message, my fingers typing quickly again.

Me: what??

But my queries forthwith got answered, as I quickly raised my torch light in reaction to the concrete wall in front, now creating a hole in the wall, a passageway.
"What the fuck." I mutter to myself, peering closer at the mystery. My fingers skim across the solid, examining it. And it was only when I got another notification, I realised how stupid I looked as if I was at Scooby doo, but I soon snapped back to my phone.

Unknown number: See you there.

I flickered my light to the hallway, transformed by the passageway, and viewed the place. It was exceedingly long.
Nevertheless, it didn't make me want to turn back, so, what was the point of exaggerating the place?

I stepped inside the hallway, and as soon as I did that, with no surprise, the wall behind me closed on me, leaving me absolutely no choice but to carry on. But why would I not?

I'm their guest. They have prepared well.

__________________

The end of the hallway was located right in front of me, after minutes of pacing upward. I had to take one right, to enter another room, where I could already see the glow of a candlelight peer upon the wall.

My fists locked up. My one shotgun in my bra. And I confirmed to myself a hundred times I could do this.

With an inhale in and an exhale out, I endured before getting interrupted by a familiar voice.

"Haven't I already repeated? now or never?" they state, from my right.

In shock, I wrap my head around the concrete wall. "Oh-my-fucking-god."

A/N - wrote this in one sitting so go me

And sorry if there r mistakes, kinda didn't look properly.

Who do u think Giavanna saw???