Chapter 3

Chapter 3

(edited)

After school, I took the bus home an plugged in my headphones to ignore the people around me.

I started thinking about people, and my past. Maybe I should tell you. . . I'm a Foster kid. I have been going from place to place since I was five. I am an unwanted child. Every house I've been to has rejected me.

With that said, when I went home, I was excited. Finally someone who had not rejected me or thought I was weird. My foster parents now, Jacob and Linda Foster (ironic, isn't it), were weirded out by me today. Normally I would go straight to the room I was staying in and hibernate in there with my phone, like any other teenage girl my age. But when they saw me all happy and jumpy, they were weirded out.

"So how was school, Ayrika?" Linda smirked asking as I sat at the counter and grabbed an apple.

"It was great. I met a girl named Mya. I think she's a cheerleader? Anyway, she was super happy to meet me and I was really happy because—" and I just started rambling about everything that happened. That's when I said, "And then, this morning I ran into a boy, Flynn I think and—" I instantly regretted it and covered my mouth. 

Linda cut me off, smiling a bit. "A boy? Already? He must have been cute?"

My face burned with embarrassment. Why did I have to say anything?!

"Oh I see how it is. Well, if it's too embarrassing I'll get off your case. But if you would like, I'm always here to talk." She continued washing the dishes.

"Thanks. I'll keep it in mind." I said with mouth full of apple and walked up the stairs to my room.

I picked my phone out of my pocket and plugged it in to my speaker and started listening to my favorite album, Hello My Name Is... by Bridgit Mendler. My Queen. I've met her once and she was the nicest person ever. I love her.

Anywho, I pressed shuffle and my favorite song, Blonde, played. As I jammed out to it. I hibernated in my room until I fell asleep that night.

---
The next morning (which was finally Saturday), I was getting ready with the album playing once more when there was a sudden knock at my door.

"Coming!" I walked over to the music player and turned down the music. I opened the door to see Jacob standing there.

"Hello." I greeted. He always intimidated me.

"Ayrika. Come with me." He motioned me to follow him.

We walked downstairs to see Flynn standing there.

I turned tamale red. "Flynn?"

"Ayrika?" He seemed happy to see me and slightly confused.

"Ayrika, this is my nephew, Flynn." Jacob said.

I stood there. Hold on, they never told me that he was related to them. Well, to be fair they didn't know I knew them. But that's beside the point, now Flynn probably thinks I'm part of the family! No, no way.

I just stood there, smiled and blushed. "Hi." I said awkwardly

"Hi." He returned.

"So, Ayrika. Flynn's parents have gone on a trip for a few months and he will be staying with us." Jacob said still acting serious.

"Oh, fun. . .!" I said half enthusiastic.

"Why don't you two talk for a bit while I make dinner." Linda said.

Oh and now that Linda knows I like him, what will she think of me? Me liking her NEPHEW?! Ugh, this is very confusing.

"Ayrika?" Flynn said waving his hand over my face. I snapped into the real word, my face turning beat red.

"What?"

"I asked if you wanted to go on a walk around the neighborhood."

"Oh uh... Sure!" I blushed hard.

"Cool." And we left outside the door.