Chapter 13

Chapter 13

(edited)

It was finally the weekend! But it was no ordinary weekend. It was my birthday weekend and Karder had something special planned.

We walked off the bus. Once I heard the bus roar away, he covered my eyes and turned me around.

"Karder what are you—" he covered my mouth.

"Shhh." he silenced. "Just walk."

I obeyed, and started walking. Across the street and into a field of grass.

"Okay. I'm going to open your eyes now." he uncovered his hands from my eyes and revealed a small little picnic for two. I gasped.

"Karder! This amazing!" I said embracing him. He smiled.

"I'm glad you like it." I let go of him and grabbed his hand to go sit down.

I sat down on the blanket to see the basket move.

"Huh, that's funny." I said scrunching my nose.

"What?"

"The basket moved."

He smiled. He knew something I didn't.

"What?" I asked "What did you do?"

He smirked. "Close your eyes."

I groaned. "What's with all the closing eye stuff?"

But right as I stopped talking I heard a whimper. No! It couldn't be!

"Okay, open your eyes."

I slowly uncovered my eyes, to reveal a small Yorkshire Terrier wagging it's tail.

"Oh my gosh, Karder!" I said practically screeching. "He is the cutest thing ever!"

"It's actually a girl."

"Oh, whoops." I laughed.

He handed me the puppy. I held her up to my face.

"I'll call you. . ."

"Hm. . . how about Olive?" Karder suggested.

"Yeah! Olive, I like that. How'd you come up with that?"

"Um, I don't know. I thought it was cute?" he blushed.

I smiled and cradled Olive. She whined and started struggling to get out of my hands.

I set her down and she started walking around the blanket.

"How old is she?" I asked watching Olive crawl into the basket. I giggled.

"She's ten weeks. I got her from my friend's step-mom, who breeds Yorkshire Terriers."

"She's adorable." I said smiling.

"Do you want to show your parents?" he asked absentmindedly.

I stopped. Parents? My mom gave me up and my dad, who knows where he is.

"Oh, sorry," he apologized "I mean your foster parents. . ."

"It's fine, let's just go."

I grabbed Olive and started walking towards the house.

"Ayrika, wait!" Karder started chasing me. I didn't turn around, I just kept walking holding Olive close to me.

"Come on, Ayri!"

"What Karder?! My parents gave me up. I don't have parents!" That came out louder than I planned.

He paused. "Ayrika, even though you might not have physical parents, you have Jesus." He was so calm, even though I yelled at him.

"Yeah, but I can't see him. I can't give him a hug when I need one Karder." I looked down at Olive who was trying to get out of my hands.

"But you have me, and Olive." he smiled and came close to me.

"But you don't know all the things that have happened to me." I wanted to cry.

"I don't have to. I still love you just the way you are." He kissed the top of my head, and put an arm around me.

"What did you say?"

"I said, I love you."

I paused. No one had ever said that to me before. "Karder—I—"

"I know. You don't have to say it back. I just wanted to let you know that." He offered a smiled. "Now, let's get this little puppy home!" he smiled and put an arm around me as we walked back to the house.