Chapter 12

Chapter 12

(edited)

The rest of that week I tried my best to ignore Mya. She glared at me from time to time, but I ignored it.

At lunch on Friday, Karder wanted to do something.

"Hey Ayri!" He said, kissing my forehead. "Want to go get something? I really have been craving a hamburger."

I laughed. "When have you ever not been craving a burger?"

We laughed. He put his arm around my shoulders as we walked into the office. We checked out and drove away.

"So what place were you thinking of?" I asked suspiciously.

"You'll see."

I had never been huge on burgers, but I liked them once and a while. That reminded me, I haven't drawn anything for a while either.

Anyways, as we drove, Karder and I talked about varies subjects, but the one that continued throughout lunch was Christianity.

"So," I asked ever so curiously. "Why does this 'Christian' thing so important to you anyways?" I used air quotations around the word 'Christian'.

Karder thought for a bit. "Being a Christian is more than just a 'thing' it's a choice, a lifestyle. I think about it like this."

He paused. "Let's say Christianity is like a person with eye issues. If you don't have faith in it, then you are like a person without glasses, or partially blind. You are not truly seeing the truth, you know it's there, you just don't know if it's true."

We stepped out of the car and walked into the restaurant. Karder continued talking. "But if you do have faith in it, then you are like a person with fixed vision, or the person with glasses. You now see fully that you were in sin, and you can now see that Christianity is real, and God is real." He concluded when we ordered. I got a chicken burger and a salad. Karder got a burger with a soda.

Once we got our food, we found a spot and sat down across from each other. He continued. "Do you understand?"

I stuttered a bit. "I guess so. I think I got it. So a person without faith doesn't have glasses and a person with has glasses?"

"Yeah! Sorta. . ." He took a bite of his burger as I took a bite of mine.

It took a bit to register in my brain but I finally got it. But I had to know something.

"Who is God? Is he like an actual person?"

He stopped to think. And he said "Yes and No. You see, a long time ago," he said extending the 'o'. "A teenage girl was told by an Angel, she was to have a baby. And yet, she was still a virgin. The angel's prophecy was true. She ended up pregnant. But she was also to marry a man named Joseph."

"Hold on. So "this girl" was going to have a baby, but she was a virgin when she had the kid? And she was going to get married to a guy named Joseph? Did she know this guy? And how did she become pregnant?"

"Yes. The girl, who was called Mary, kind of knew Joseph, and the Holy Spirit put the child in Mary."

"Weird." I said taking a bite of my sandwich.

"Anyways, Mary ended up marrying Joseph. But, Mary did not love Joseph. Even though, she was still married to him."

"She had to marry someone she didn't love?"

"Yes. But, it was an arranged marriage."

I nodded.

"Anyways, about nine months later, Mary and Joseph had to go to Joseph's home town, Nazereth, because of a census. But, one night, it was time for Mary to give birth. Joseph rushed around everywhere trying to find a place for Mary to have this kid. Until, they came to an inn, but there was no room. The manager or something pointed out a stable because that was the only place she could go. Mary ended up having the child there and naming him, Jesus."

But before Karder could continue, I interrupted him. "Wait, wait, wait, so you are meaning to tell me that Jesus was born in a stable?!"

"Yes, now listen." He remarked. "Throughout Jesus's life, he told of a time he would die for you and me. And he did! He died on a cross, and three days later, he rose again."

I let that sink in. "Wow. Why would he die?"

"Because he loves you more than anyone else in the world, nobody loves you more than Jesus Christ."

And yet again. The thought of someone loving me, hit me hard. I'd probably heard it multiple times before, but the question still burned inside me. God loved me?