Chapter 8

Chapter 8

(edited)

When we arrived home, a lady who was quite familiar to me, was sitting at the kitchen table with Linda and Jacob.

"Aunt Linda? What's going on?" Karder asked.

"Oh Flynn! There you are, I need you to go upstairs for a while hun."
Linda said. Right as I was going to follow him, Linda said "And Ayrika, please come here."

I stopped and went to where they were sitting. This lady I was sitting across from, really looked familiar. Who was she?

"Ms. Levi, please explain to Ayrika why you are here." Linda smiled.

Who I presumed as Ms. Levi, turned to me. "Ayrika, I am here on your behalf. You see, we found your birth mother. She lives about 5 miles away. She has wanted to meet you for a while now. Would you like to come and see her?"

I was stunned. My birth mom wanted to see me? But why? She gave me up. Why would she want to see me? But not to keep them waiting I said, "Of course!"

"Okay. She is ready anytime. So when would you like to go?" Ms. Levi asked.

"Anytime today or after school sometime, but will you excuse me for a second?" I laugh, uncomfortably.

"Of course."

"Thanks." I excuse myself, and quickly upstairs to find Karder sitting on the top of the stairs. I took his arm, dragging him into my room.

"Ouch! No need to pull so hard!" He tried joking around. I shot him a glare.

"Karder, did you hear what they said?! My mom wants to see me! I don't know if I should go, I mean. What if she doesn't like me? What if she's a drug addict? What if she wants me back? I can't live with her! She gave me away!" I started to have a mental breakdown. I wanted to cry, but refrained. Instead, I ran into Karder's arms.

He smelled nice and always made me feel better. He stroked my hair.

"Hey," he said. I lifted my head off of his chest. "Would you like it better if I came with you, to make it less uncomfortable?"

"Oh, Karder, I—" I was then interrupted by someone opening the door. Linda stood at the entrance.

"Ayrika, are you ready to go? Ms. Levi is ready for you."

"Okay, but Linda. What would you think of Flynn coming with me? Just to make it less uncomfortable."

"Oh! Um, you would have to ask Ms. Levi. Otherwise it's alright with me."

I smiled and grabbed Karder's hand. Ran down the stairs to ask. "Ms Levi?"

She turned around, and faced me. "Yes?"

"Uh, do you think my friend, Flynn, could come with us? You know, just so I don't feel so uncomfortable?"

"Oh, um. I don't know, sweetheart. I think it would make it better for him to be there, but I just don't know how your birth mother would react. I think it's better for him to stay here."

"Oh, okay." I turn to Karder, and whispered. "Thanks anyway." I hugged him one last time before heading out the door.